Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 If its not the rut... >

If its not the rut...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

If its not the rut...

Old 10-22-2007, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If its not the rut...

I have a cheapo Wildview cam in the side yard that had only take a few photos of does and no bucks. In fact ithad not taken any pictures in a week.
I got back from hunting on opening day and put a scent pad with last years James Valley Doe in heatgel on it right on top of the camera. I put the scent out at 4PM and this guy was there a few hours later.Young deer and needs a couple of years but I might shoot him in a weak moment.

Makes me think if the small bucks are interested in doe in heat lures than a big one mightbe to. Always liked scents but this sure is pretty solid evidence to me thats its attractive even this early.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: If its not the rut...

The way my season has been going, that's a "gagger" lol.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is scraps all over one end of my place,but not many rubs. Lee
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if i got the low down on him he would be hanging on my gambrel.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't shoot that deer. Still needs a couple of years to reach his full potential. I mean >>>>>>>>>>>>&g t;>>>>>WHACK!!

Nice to feel that I am in the company of guys who just like to shoot deer. Right now I just wanna kill something. GEEZ, is that really to much to ask?

Sometimes I feel like I am surrounded by guys who are letting 130 class deer walk by causeits not part of the QDM plan. Its sure not a luxury I have.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I let that scrawny 90 lb. Doe go second day of the season. I regret it now, ain't seen that smarmy nanny since![&o]This being my last year at this place, i have decided to take every legal deer that gets in range. I can take 8antlerless including any Buck that has at least one antler less than 3"and 2 more Bucks. Soon as it stops pouring outside i will be my stand!
Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's painfully obvious to me that at least some bucks are responding to doe in heat scents. If the wind ever drops off andit does not rain in the AM as its forcast I might have to give it a try.
I just hope I don't bring in a little 8pt bymistake..
Old 10-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Although I would like to hold out for a bigger deer, I do not think I could be strong enough not to shoot him! I sure would like to have one nice wall hanger, but the button buck I shot sure is eating good! Had some burgers at work the other night and tacos are the next best thing!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

walking in front of me wouldnt be a smart idea on his part either...

the younger bucks have gotten pretty silly around my area, and unfortunately I've been seeing more and more of them dead along the highway, I havent noticed too much activity from the big guys yet though

there is a small scrape line that just popped up by one of my stands though, its only about 50 yards long with maybe 4-5 small scrapes in it, theres a little 4 point thats been showing his stupidity around there lately so I'm thinking its probably him