Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 broke a strand on my xbox string >

broke a strand on my xbox string

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

broke a strand on my xbox string

Old 10-07-2007, 02:34 PM
Spike

Default broke a strand on my xbox string

I noticed on my phoenix today that a strand has broke on the string. Is the string useless now? I've only put around 50 shots on this string and i waxed it at 30 shots. I have a spare but just wondering if i can still use it since one stand broke.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: broke a strand on my xbox string

This hasn't come up before, IIRC, sounds like you have an "endless loop" string on. That means for the strand that broke, one on the back side is worthless also. I've never had to deal w/ this, so this is my OPINION. You should be ok unless more strands let go, keep an eye on it! One strand failing puts a little more strain on the rest, but Dnk is our resident string expert, maybe he has better advice.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Prudence dictates changing the string when a strand breaks. But when have I ever been prudent? I'm cheap.[8D]

The string won't snap. If anything, the strands will start unwinding through the loops. And that shouldn't happen if the servings were properly done. Keep an eye on your brace height. If it starts getting lower, then the string is giving way and definitely needs to be replaced.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I think the advice is good, however, remember two things. Strings are cheap and that 30 strand string was meant to do well for quiet a while on a much more powerful bow like the Exomax so I think you are safe for a short time. I hate being hoisted on my own petard though. When ever that happens I don't look in the mirror for at least a week! LOL!