Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbow on a budget >

Crossbow on a budget

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow on a budget

Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 AM
bigcountry

Default Crossbow on a budget

My father in law is in bad shape lately.He's an old man.He's haveing knee replacements, and shoulder issues, and much more. He's all depressed about not hunting much. He usually only gun hunts, and I was thinking of buying him a crossbow. But I can't break the bank.

Can a guy get a crossbow for under $250? Thats decent?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Crossbow on a budget

Get him a Horton Summit. Best bow for under $300.

Randy
Old 10-01-2007, 04:29 PM
Fork Horn

In that price range you might want to check out some used ones. Saw some hortons on ebay.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Spike

I have a horton yukon that I bought on e-bay for less than 200. I believe the summit is the repacement for it. I shot a4 point buck last week and the arrow went through it so it is obviously enough bow for hunting. You may not have as much range as some of the faster bows but most deer are killed within 20 yards with bows and the yukon can handle that.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:26 AM
bigcountry

Thanks, I saw those yukon SL's on ebay.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM

Your a long time member of this site and know the ins and outs of buying equipment. Saying that is kinda in the lines of buying a Matthews on a budget, sometimes the two just don't mix. By that I mean $200 to $250 is pushing it IMO, less then that is when you dabble in the trouble section IMO. Just be careful and don't go to cheap, and then need to turn around next season and need a up grade. Seems like some of the guys have problems with the lower end Horton's. I do not know if it is a problem with the CB or the fact that alot of these guys also admit to buying the CB at Wal-Mart two weeks before season, rush rush rush with know knowledge or research. Good research is also a sign of good stewardship. I have had Horton's for around fifteen years or so. Never had a problem. A good middle of the line Horton on a budget is not a problem at all IMO. But with all that that I just said, I love my Excal!
Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 AM

Also, your a long time Bow hunter and know of the Dry fire Effect. There is alot of Dry Fire "specials" on Ebay. Make sure you get one from a person with alot of good feedback.
Old 10-05-2007, 10:03 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

Also, your a long time Bow hunter and know of the Dry fire Effect. There is alot of Dry Fire "specials" on Ebay. Make sure you get one from a person with alot of good feedback.
Is there any way to tell if a crossbow has been dry fired? Besides busted limbs or bent cam axles? Or bent cams?

Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup if they leave the broken string on it! Now i will give some of the best free advice you will ever get. There are several places to buy an Excal Vixen fer about $330 shipped!Thats the best investment you will ever make. It will shoot today and the same 20 years from now. Hit nickels off the bench at 20 yds.[8D]
Old 10-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I needed a budget crossbow myself. Other than my interest in primitive weapons, that's one of the top reasons I made a midieval type crossbow. Not counting my labor (since I enjoy making things anyway) I've got less than $100 in my crossbow.

Quick Reply: Crossbow on a budget

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.