Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 My first tag filled with LB >

My first tag filled with LB

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

My first tag filled with LB

Old 10-01-2007, 06:35 AM

Default My first tag filled with LB

Well guys, I haven't been on here in a while 'cause I was hunting with my longbow. I was able to take an elk with it. My friend and I were both hunting with stickbows and both got elk within about 10 min. of each other. He shot the lead cow and I took her calf (about 300#).

Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 AM

Default RE: My first tag filled with LB

This was the best pic. I could get of it as I held my flashlight and camera at the same time. My shoulder looks like it won't let me use the longbow anymore so I think I will use the crossbow for my other 2 tags. This is my first traditional bow kill in 3 years so I was happy my shoulder held out for that at least. I hope to sharethis yearscrossbow stories with you guys in the near future.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 AM

Congrats on the hunt! Do you think it was your last for just this season, or the last for good?
Old 10-01-2007, 06:51 AM

I don't know hotburn. I would like to hunt with the longbow again. I enjoy the romance of it and it sure is easier to carry in the field compared to the crossbow. (2.5# vs. 8#).
Old 10-01-2007, 06:57 AM

I also wanted to show you guys what a heavy arrow (or bolt) will do. My shot went low through the chest and hit the offside humorus bone just above the joint, breaking it completely in half and dislocating the joint. The arrow continued through and was caught at about the fletching. The arrow was 650 gr. with Zwickey head and was going 163 fps (chronoed it) at the bow. In this case, it was not necessary but if I woulda hit a big bone like that going in, I think it still would've penetrated through the chest. The BH was fine. I sharpened it up and it's ready to go again.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:59 AM

Kinda hard to see but that's a chip of bone right above the BH that it broke off as well.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the Elk and i grudingly accept you used a LB to harvest it with! Not a CB,but there are other folks that also use those other Bows to hunt with. Some folks get to use all the Bows![]
Old 10-01-2007, 07:09 AM

I'd like to see more people use heavier arrows/bolts, even for WT deer. I've seen a lot of shows where guys shooting light arrows and FAST bows don't get good penetration on WTs. Seems to me that a WT shouldn't stop an arrow if I'm getting full penetration on elk with only 163 fps. I've also shot elk and mule deerwith lighter bolts from my crossbow and have not been impressed with the penetration from lighter (500-575gr.) bolts. I lost an elk shot with a 500 gr. bolt because it center-punched a rib (at least that's my best theory). I got a good look at the shot and it was great placement, definitely away from the shoulder bone, about 4" behind the leg and half-way up...OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. Have a great day. Grndhntr.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:10 AM

Thanks Smoke!!!