Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 scopeless in south dakota >

scopeless in south dakota

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

scopeless in south dakota

Old 09-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Default scopeless in south dakota

I bought a new Pheonix ,(I"M IN LOVE) LIke everything about this bow except my state does not alow scopes , has anyone found a fiber opitc sight that is any better than the one pin this bow comes with now?, It might be a bugger when shooting in low light , If I was excalibur I would have something a little better, Im not complaining, I know what is available to the (other bows) my son has a Mathew's with some incredible fiber optics, Just thought I would throw this out to ya all. thanks ,fishead
Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 AM

Default RE: scopeless in south dakota

That is a total bummer if you cant have a scope! I am not sure what is out there for your sight since it is only the starter and then the scope is the move up. Maybe some others will know what you can put on it to have something better. There is a sight out there that is called a Halo or something like that. It is not a scope at all, only a flat lens sticking up with a sight on it. Maybe that would be legal?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

see what they clairify as a scope....like jason said, halo and bsa make sights that are not of any magnification(SPL)so if S.D. rules mean to magnify then you should be legal with a red dot or halo that are of non-magnifacation..you know what I mean...Its a shot anyway.....
Old 09-21-2007, 08:16 AM

Will this work for you? It is not a scope with magnification. This is at Cabelas.

ATN Ultra Sight

Buyer's Guide
[/align][/align][/align]The Ultra Sight is engineered to deliver super-fast target acquisition that allows you to be much quicker than with comparable red dot sights. The unique design also permits you to choose between four reticle patterns with a simple twist of a knob. The Ultra Sight also features a large 33mm display, easily accessed windage and elevation adjustments, and 10-position reticle brightness control and a high intensity diode. Fits standard Weaver mounting system.
[/align]

ATN Ultra Sight

Item:IH-711322

Reg: $159.99

Sale: $99.99

Old 09-21-2007, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats what Iam talking about Jason.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use scopes [lucky bad eyes me]. have no experience to speak of w/ peeps on xbow, although I have tried them. Have read of attempts to use multi post front sights like on vert, but the consensus of opinion was they had to be too close together to work well. have read of another trick using stock Excal front pin. Some guys use the duplex [black] portion of the sight both above and below the lit fibre optic dot as aim points for different yardages, assuming pin is sighted for mid range [your choice] bottom would be for some farther range, top would be for some shorter range. think you would have to experiment to get it down, but that's the general idea. Let us know how it works for ya, and those halo sights if legal can be had real cheap at Midway USA if ya google it.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I am suprised that some one has not filied a discriminiation suitagainst the state as the federal gov. hashandicapped laws andasthe necessity for trifocals ect.is a commen handicap that comes with age. Lee
Old 09-21-2007, 11:59 AM

ORIGINAL: awshucks

...have no experience to speak of w/ peeps on xbow, although I have tried them...
My old Super Mag came with a Pin and Peep set up. I thought it was great and used it for many years. Then one year, about seven years or so ago it cost me the nicest buck I ever had in range. I had a real nice ten point buck come out in front of me working a field. I blew a doe grunt and he came right in, straight in!! I never could shoot. He circled behind me looking for the doe and then when he was about forty yards a way I blew again. He came back to my right and was only about fifteen yards away, broadside with about ten minuets of time left. I was craping my pants in joy! Well as I pulled the CB up and started to aim, he disappeared! He was standing in the shadow of the woods and as I would pull up to aim I could not see him in the peep! I could see him just fine with my eyes, but the peep was to small and could not see. He only stayed there a couple of minuets and then was gone. He was at least a 140" class deer. After that I started on my first red dot scope.
Old 09-22-2007, 07:07 AM

Hotburn is right on. I hunted with the Peep and Pin that came on my xbow for years, then switched to a red dot and finally last year put on a scope. The scope is really nice as it does allow for more time to hunt at the end of the day. Funny, I was talking to my friend who is out in Wyoming hung elk with his compound. I told him about my experience last year with the scope on the xbow and how amazed I was to be able to see for at least ten more minutes especially when in the woods!

That being said, there is nothing wrong with using the peep and pin. It's all just part of the hunt experience and the added challenge. You've got to get that deer infront of you before it gets too dark to see.

Hunt hard, Have Fun, Kill Deer!