Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 How to handle a spined deer?? >

How to handle a spined deer??

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

How to handle a spined deer??

Old 09-03-2007, 09:34 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

Default RE: How to handle a spined deer??

come on now... a nail gun with a small compressor?

old school....

any self respecting high tech hunter knows that this is the only way to go when it comes to dispatching spine shot deer...

http://www.paslode-cordless.com/
Old 09-04-2007, 08:47 AM

I dont think I am as old as smokepole so I went ahead and bought a new compressor and a nail gun instead of a crossbow. I am starting a new company...Call me for all your spined deer needs...I will work for backstrap and tenderloin!!!!!!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I want to spine one so I can call Smoke to come up and wrestle it. I could sell tickets Smoke and we can split 60/40. Just the image of Mike trying to break the deer's neck has got me laughing. Me... I'm not grappling with any deer unless it's dead but that's a different topic altogether..
Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a 9 pt. with my recurve back in 75 and it went over the top of lungs and hit part of spine and came out the other side. I ran over to him as he was lunging up and grabbed his rack. The dance was on, took me couple of min. to get my legs around his body behind his front legs. Just like i was riding a horse but we were on the ground going around in circles. I finally got a good grip on rack brought his head back and to the right to close to a 180 and got hand on his muzzle and finally broke his neck! They be tough son i was 25 at the time. Now i am too old fer that, just shoot'em.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

I did it last yr to a doe on opening day of muzzle loading. She was completely paralyzed from the neck back. She laid there for a few seconds makinga littlenoise after the shot and then nothing. I waited 20 minutes and got out of my stand. I walked up to her laying in the weeds and about 2 yards from her she lifted her head and just looked at me. []I felt so bad not knowing she was still alive. I quickly placed a second shot in her. I only hope she wasn't suffering.

Walking back to get my truck I was playing the whole thing over in my head. It was a 30 yard shot and I missed that much. Target practicing I was drilling the bullseye with my open sights up to 75 yards. Getting to my truck I saw my rear sight to be way out of wack. I could only blame myself, and after that day I always check my sights multiple times over the days hunt.

I sometimes carry my handgun with during bow and muzzle season. I can do this in VA cause I have my permit to carry. Might be an option for some others.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure it would be legal to use a handgun to dispatch a wounded deer during bow season and could be misconstrued by the warden. I'm not even sure that with a permit you could carry a sidearm during bow season.??? Sure not in this state.
I really have no idea but I can't even use a muzzleloader like an Encore in which I could sneak a nice scoped rifle barrel of some sort on.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a BIG NO NO in Minnesota while archery huntin......Except for Bear..
Old 09-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

I have spine shot a deer twice and each time I hated that it happened but it did the first time was with a bow, the deer was dragging it's self with it's front legs so I climbed down instantly and sat on the deers back and pulled the knife out and finished the job all of about 2 mins or less. The 2nd time it was with a shot gun and slug and the deer was in the same condition but offered me a quick shot to finish the job.
Personally I hated it each time and each time it was my fault no the deer. I hope it never happens again. It is not very safe to try and cut a deers throut when this has happened but if it is the quickest way then I am up for taking the risk but it the deer has a big rack I believe I would wait for the chance on a second shot. By saying big rack I don't mean it tosound like if was a wall hanger I would pull the knife but I do value my life.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

Back when we had Check Stations I spined a Buck with my Crossbow,cut his throat.Took him up to Check him.They called the Agent on me because its throat was cut.Because they was taught that if an Archery kill came in with its throat cut it was sign of being shot with a Firearm.

I Spine shot a Ram running away from me,with Muzzleloader.He was laying there breathing.I didn't want to mess up the Mount,so I wasn't going to cut his throat.The guy that was with me said give him time he would go ahead and die.I said no,I reloaded and shot him again just behind the Leg.

big rockpile