Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow bolts

Old 08-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Spike

Default Crossbow bolts

Anyone have any suggestions on what crossbow bolts are the best? Also should I be shooting fixed blades? What brand do you guys use the most?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow bolts

I shoot Horton Aluminum Lightning Strike MX 20" bolts. I have them refletched with some AAE Elite 4" vanes. Really hard to say what bolt is best. Same as saying what broad head is the best.Depending on your bow and setup will determine what your bow likes to shoot. Some prefer aluminum, some carbon and you have a large selection of options for both of them.

You can shoot fixed or mechanical broad heads on your xbow. Iwas using Muzzy 3-blade last yr but going to try the Slick Tricks this year I believe.

There is a crossbow section here, can take a peek in there looking at some previous posts or do a search. Lots of great people and useful info to be found.

Dave
Old 09-01-2007, 05:41 AM

jedge1979,

I'm new to crossbows, but I'll post my impression to perhaps stimulate some opinions based on more experience. It seems the power of crossbows result in a lot of bent aluminum bolts. You may not notice the bend and it will produce a bad shot. Since carbons don't get bends in them, they're the better choice for crossbows. So, there you have it!

Roger

Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Horton aluminum bolts that came with my CB shot ok. Then I switched to the Horton Carbon Strike MX. At anything past 20yrds the carbons raised my POI quite a bit. (i.e. they didn't drop as fast).
They only weigh about 16gr less but have a flatter tradjectory. This is what I am going to use.Carbon Strike MX with 100gr. NAP Spitfires. The Spitfires fly exactly like the 100gr. field points. At least they do with the practice blades. So I assume they will with the hunting blades. I will shoot one with the hunting blades just make sure. I bought two packs, one for practice & one for hunting. That way I will always have practice tips and I can used the extra blades for replacements. This should last me a fewyears.(unless I lose some). I am going to save up for an Excal Exomax. I like the Horton but I don't like the maintenance it is going to require. (having to need a bow press). I'll probably sell the Horton to my buddy after deer season. I'm also going to get a T/C pistol eventually.

~ Chris
Old 09-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Aluminum shafts are made more straight than carbons. They do not bend on impact. They are heavier than carbons. They get bent by the user mostly by being pulled out of a foam target. Carbons loose their spine and become less straight with time and abuse. I have some surviving Gold Tips that have become useless after a couple of thousand shots from my compound. I also have quite a few aluminum crossbow arrows that have been dented and are useless. The carbons on the other hand seen to shrug off the minor collisions.
Old 09-01-2007, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot only alum.'s have shot couple thousands times maybe 3 thousand. Only have bent one arrow, thatmay have been my fault.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:26 PM

I am one of the user benders that others speak of and was bending my aluminum in my foam target when pulling out. Went to Horton carbons for that reason and liked them alot. Started using Gold Tip Laser II's with the Excal and they are top notch, but here others are having quality problems with them since they are making south of the boarder now. May be trying eastons carbons some day but not sure.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

i use horton ls2 lite arrows,20 inch ,2216 ,xx75,2 inch blazer vanes,alumin insert not carbon one,spitfire 100 with target inserts..
only problem i have is i lost 1 the other night,shoot real good..
Old 09-01-2007, 08:29 PM
Typical Buck

alum vs. carbon......like asking which bow is the best or which broadhead is the best. it's really a personal preference. i have shot both. carbons are great for 3d shoots. but, i prefer aluminum for hunting i always felt i got better penetration with aluminum arrows. most shafts are bent when they're pulled from the target. mechanical or fixed b-heads another personal preference. i always worried about performance of mechanicals on an angled shot. i much prefer fixed blades.....there's less to go wrong. good luck.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:22 PM

I like The Beman 20" Thunderbolts & Parkers 20" Supercarbons & Also The Carbon Express Crossbolts Im going To switch to the 125 grain Slick Tricks & Use Sonics Made by American Broadhead! They Are Sweet Both Fixed blades & shoot Like Field Tips They both Of what Im using are a 1" cutting diameter ! http://www.americanbroadhead.com/sonic_heads.shtml http://www.slicktrick.net/ http://www.beman.com/shafts/?shaft=12http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/arrows_cx_crossbolt.shtmlhttp: //www.parkerbows.com/pb/2007/crossbowacc.html?action=detail&detailsku=1029