Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbow Bolts

Old 09-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Spike

Default Crossbow Bolts

Hello, I've been a member for a some time now but usually just read! However I now have some questions. I just bought my first crossbow, Not high priced one but seems like a good one. It's the Horton HD150. It will be used to hunt Kentucky whitetails ( the four legged kind). Now after all that her's my qustions. Horton says use 20" bolts, what about shorter? Like 17.5"? Is there any difference in broadheads, between regular bow and crossbow? Will my trusted Muzzy 4 blades work? How are the crossbow bolts listed?? Like my carbon arrows are 400's. What size should I use? Of course Horton recommends thier brand. Well that's all for now. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Crossbow Bolts

Bigboyky:I can shed a little light on the subject. #1 you need half moon nocks, period. #2 ya gotta watch the over all weight w/ compound xbows, too light tears them up. I'm real fond of carbon GT LII's w/ 100 gr Slick Tricks. These puppies weigh 431-442 gr, depending on wraps or not. They are in Cabelas ect as 10 pt Elites or ?? Randy from 10 pt will probably pop in and help ya there, I get mine from Danny Miller [Excal dude] for $5.75 a pop at [740] 483-2312. Those weights will work for your snortin Hortin. They are 20" too btw. The only advantage to shorter arrows that I'm aware of is less weight that some recurve guys like as their type bows will go as low as 350 gr and some push that even lower. If your current choice in b-heads doesn't work for ya, I know the ST's will, but that's a whole nother can of worms, lol Enjoy, and thanks for posting c'mon back!!
Old 09-11-2006, 01:52 PM
Spike

Any body else? I need some advice here.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:09 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Bigboyky, Awshucks has given you good advice. As far as spine of your arrows you don't have to worry about that unless you go really heavy with a broadhead. I don't know what spine to tell you to use. I use a 2117 which is on the light side for spine. What you are told is right about the life of your crossbow. The the lighter the arrow the harder it is on your bow and the more noisy it is.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Awsucks, had most of it down, I use 2216 on a similar xbow and I get tighter groups with the 10pt nock system than those half moons and they are also much better for refletching, with an xbow stay a little on the stiff side and they will work fine. Lee
Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the standard2216 Horton bolt, complementedby 100gr Spitfires. Awesome combo and REAL accurate!
Does anyone have a problem with that?
Old 09-11-2006, 03:38 PM
Spike

Thanks for info..... I wasn't doubting anybody just like to hear from more than one. Hope you understand! Again thanks! It's been my experiance that on these forums you get good information most times better than the so called experts around the county! This is my first crossbow and so far I love shooting it! I've got it zeroed in out to 20 yards, and going to go farther when I get home!
Old 09-11-2006, 03:57 PM
Spike

Is there a difference in the "moonnocks" and the "halfmoom"? I mean I would think so but I'm seeing alot of these moon nocks....
Old 09-11-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

They're the same thing and welcome aboard.[:-]
Old 09-11-2006, 04:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigboyky

Thanks for info..... I wasn't doubting anybody just like to hear from more than one. Hope you understand! Again thanks! It's been my experiance that on these forums you get good information most times better than the so called experts around the county!
Pretty good place and people here I would say!

Quick Reply: Crossbow Bolts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.