Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels? >

Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Old 08-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

I have a tremendous sense of humor, fair warning!! A deer can hear a twig the size of a pencil break at a 1/4 mile and a car door close at a 1/2 mile. Still wanna play ball scarecrow?? lol. Shoot em w/ your xbow as you leave stand. [IMHO]
Old 08-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

COBRA
Old 08-26-2007, 11:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

"poison tipped"............. blowgun darts.....
Old 08-27-2007, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I have a tremendous sense of humor, fair warning!! A deer can hear a twig the size of a pencil break at a 1/4 mile and a car door close at a 1/2 mile. Still wanna play ball scarecrow?? lol. Shoot em w/ your xbow as you leave stand. [IMHO]
I know deerhave a very, very, very, good sense of hearing. The way that I figured is that deer can hear a .22 pistol/pellet gun, a lot farther than an x-bow.As I said before, I'm not going to shoot a squirrel every-time I go deer hunting. Just the really annoying ones
Old 08-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had too many deer sneak up on me while in stand to risk any unneccessary noise. I have looked down on more than one occassion to spot a deer that slipped in on me without my hearing it. That happens even when the leaves are like corn flakes so I really like to keep things quiet and still even when I "know" there is nothing around.
Time in a deer stand is to rare and valuable to waste or risk spooking sumpin I might want to shoot.
Plus I would not eat squirrel on a bet and just don't bother popping them "MUCH" anymore. I will say it is far easier to drag a squirrelout of the woods but thats not what I'm there for.
I do carry a judo though just in case I have a weak moment and will gladly send a fresh broadhead in the direction of a yote. I might change the judo out for a blunt this year for the stray/wild dogs. They haunted me last season a bit so I'm thinking a blunt to the hams might be fun and send them on their way without risking killing someones pet.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

I might change the judo out for a blunt this year for the stray/wild dogs. They haunted me last season a bit so I'm thinking a blunt to the hams might be fun and send them on their way without risking killing someones pet.
How do you think shooting a dog that could be someones pet in the "hams" could be fun? What type of hunter are you? How can you find it "fun" to wound a dog, and hope it lives, "without risking killing someones pet." Most likely it would run away and die a slow death.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm the kind of hunter that thinks a wild dog deserves the same fate as a yotebutI am willing not to slip a broadhead thru his lungs in the off chance he is someones pet. Better that the dog makes it home with a bruised A$$ than not make it home at all.
Don't worry young fella. A rubber blunt in the butt is not gonna killem although it's gonna send him on his way fast.
Have you ever seena pack of "pets" on the trail of deer?? I have and they can do as much harm as any yote.
I think without being certain that you can legally shoot a dog worrying the deer in some states although thats not my game and I like dogs. I just make sureI keep mineunder control.
PS.. 13 posts and you want to shoot squirrels with a toy. You should wait a bit before you question my ethics.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

I'm the kind of hunter that thinks a wild dog deserves the same fate as a yotebutI am willing not to slip a broadhead thru his lungs in the off chance he is someones pet. Better that the dog makes it home with a bruised A$$ than not make it home at all.
Don't worry young fella. A rubber blunt in the butt is not gonna killem although it's gonna send him on his way fast.
Have you ever seena pack of "pets" on the trail of deer?? I have and they can do as much harm as any yote.
I think without being certain that you can legally shoot a dog worrying the deer in some states although thats not my game and I like dogs. I just make sureI keep mineunder control.
PS.. 13 posts and you want to shoot squirrels with a toy. You should wait a bit before you question my ethics.
"13 posts and you want to shoot squirrels with a toy"
How do you think an 80# Crossbow is a toy?Most hunters hunt deer with 70# bows!
Also, I may have only 13 post, but I have more ethics than you will ever
have. Anyone has more ethics than you! Someone that thinks wounding a dog is "fun" [:@]should have is hunting license taken away! How do you know that shooting it the "rump" wont kill it. You don't know.You give bow hunters a bad reputation...

Old 08-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Check your regs. It wouldn't be legal in my neck of the woods. Squirrels here in Texas are considered a game animal. We have a 25" minimum overall crossbow stock length and 125 lb minimum draw weight for hunting all game animals.

Now, rabbits on the other hand...

Oh, by the way, there is a helluva lot of difference in power between a 70 lb bow and an 80 lb crossbow. Because of the short power stroke, you have to divide the crossbow's poundage by 3 to get the rough equivalent of power you get from a bow. That 80 lb crossbow pistol has about as much oomph as a 27 lb recurve - and even that is probably way too generous an estimate. Not quite a 'toy' but definitely not a real hunting weapon either.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

do not use one of those ebay crossbows for hunting anything! My friend bought one for plinking and it is a joke. Just a toy.

Quick Reply: Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.