Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels? >

Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Old 08-26-2007, 06:26 PM

Default RE: Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

ORIGINAL: 8pt~Bowhunter
I want something that I can bring along when deer hunting that won't spook the deer. I don't want to shoot my Carbon Express at a squirrel and losea $10 arrow.
I have played that game alot! It is fun but I save my bad arrows for this and my old or dull heads. But like I said above to much fun can cost you deer! But a good tree rat pinned to the ground is kinda fun!
Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

I read somewhere a guy used a blow gun. Quiet and light to carry in.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

Bet a slingshot with steel balls would do a good job on the tree rats and your odds of hitting them would be a lot better.

Martin
Old 08-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

In a word, no. Squirrel hunt or deer hunt, the two don't go hand in hand. I carry a $5.75 carbon arrow w/ a $3.00 judo point to whack squirrels w/ prior to quitting deer hunting. Outta a Phoenix, I get a trashed arrow due to rocks. Results: $8.75 squirrels, ruined arrow, no deer. Personally, my thoughts are sit in your stand for deer til you've had enough, whack a squirrel just before you leave the stand, lol. Do this w/ your deer set-up, not some hokey Chinese pistol thing. You can drop a few bucks [no pun intended] on squirrel arrow set ups for what the no good Chines pistol xbow type thing will cost you. My Phoenix can hit nickels out to 30 yds, so when it comes to squirrels it's just a cost ratio type thing to me.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Cobra and have yet to hit a tree rat and I have tried [:@]....
Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Does anybody else use a crossbow pistol for hunting? Do they work well on small game?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: martinfaw

Bet a slingshot with steel balls would do a good job on the tree rats and your odds of hitting them would be a lot better.

Martin
I've tried that, but I just can't hit anything with a slingshot.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

In a word, no. Squirrel hunt or deer hunt, the two don't go hand in hand. I carry a $5.75 carbon arrow w/ a $3.00 judo point to whack squirrels w/ prior to quitting deer hunting. Outta a Phoenix, I get a trashed arrow due to rocks. Results: $8.75 squirrels, ruined arrow, no deer. Personally, my thoughts are sit in your stand for deer til you've had enough, whack a squirrel just before you leave the stand, lol. Do this w/ your deer set-up, not some hokey Chinese pistol thing. You can drop a few bucks [no pun intended] on squirrel arrow set ups for what the no good Chines pistol xbow type thing will cost you. My Phoenix can hit nickels out to 30 yds, so when it comes to squirrels it's just a cost ratio type thing to me.
The reason that I want to get a crossbow pistol, is so when youshoot at a squirrel, the deer wont here it. As I said also, wouldn't a crossbow bolt be much cheaper?
Old 08-26-2007, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bigg~BirddVA

I read somewhere a guy used a blow gun. Quiet and light to carry in.
Did he ever get anything with it? I didn't think that a blow gun had enough power to kill anything.
Old 08-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

The reason that I want to get a pistol crossbow is so the deer wont hear it being fired. I normaly don't shoot every squirrel that I see. Just when I'm leaving a stand.

Quick Reply: Is a pistol crossbow suitable for hunting squirrels?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.