Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 I know one thing, this was the last time >

I know one thing, this was the last time

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

I know one thing, this was the last time

Old 08-22-2007, 04:54 PM

Default RE: I know one thing, this was the last time

I have only gotten about 15 shots out of my 700 dollar bow (I wont say that again-I promise) but I can be completely honest and say as much warning as has been giving on here about the dreaded themb I thought about that each and every shot and I hope I never forget that. That has got to hurt. It made me pucker up when I was reading this post....man alive
Old 08-22-2007, 08:54 PM

Did that once! You only ever do it once, at least I better! I thought when I first did it that I had ripped my thumb clean off! But I only had a little blood seep from under the nail. But it hurt for a long time and was kinda numb for a while. Took me several days for that heart beat pulse feeling to leave it.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ouch
Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

oh man, I'msorry to hear that. I've been reading about how that can and does happen. The first few times I shot my new bow that kept going through my mind. I'dkeep looking down at my hand, even though I knew my thumb was out of the way! Now I'm geting used to it and can feel the groove in the stock and keep my thumb there. Then I know I'm ok. Hope it feels better fast.

chris
Old 08-23-2007, 05:47 AM

Thanks for all the moral support guys. I ended up doing some self medication last night (you really dont want to know). It relieved the pressure and it feels much better. It's still sore but atleast the throbbing pain is gone.

Maybe tonight when I get home I'll be able to finish sighting in my crossbow. With the suggestions some of you gave me I'm already working on ways to prevent this from EVER happening again.

Thanks again!
Old 08-23-2007, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I got home last night I p/u my cb to see where my thumb is when I hold it and mine points down the rail,the reason I did this was because I was at the hangun range and Ive gotten so used to my left thumb being aaiming point andI wanted to see ifit was the same with cb and it was..so it a natual thing for me to point my thumb at the target and not have it up..One less thing for me to lose sleep over .
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

OWWWWW! Sorry to hear about your thumb. Hope it feels better soon. There is no pain in the world like getting holes drilled thru the finger nails. Had it done several times while in the navy. Good luck and heal quick.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: ranger56528

..so it a natual thing for me to point my thumb at the target and not have it up..One less thing for me to lose sleep over .
Ranger, that is what I do as well, have my thumb point down the stock towards the target I want to hit. The trouble is that not all stocks are the same, some are more shallow than others. Like I mentioned, the newer Excalibur stocks are a little deeper and more inclined to eliminate the the ability of getting part of the hand into the path of the string then their orginal wooden stocks. When I struck the thumb with the string, it was from the base of the thumb forward, like a glancing blow. Very thankful that it was a glancing blow and not a dirrect hit.

This thread is a very good topic for all crossbow shooters to read. IT opens up some peoples eyes to some danger that they would never even have thought about. Just be aware of your crossbow and the possible dangers.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know the 1st time I shot my cb I was worried about it,but Idont even give it a second thought nowuntill this thread came up.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:14 AM

OUCH......come on fellas , get with the program : ur shooting a xbow , ur not hitchike'n.....keep that thumb down.

The above statement was a joke....ok, just for a smile.

Now dry fires.....well I'm catching up with the best of em.
I need a auto loading exocet 200. lol
BOB

Quick Reply: I know one thing, this was the last time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.