Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 hunting from the ground >

hunting from the ground

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

hunting from the ground

Old 08-07-2007, 11:39 AM

Default hunting from the ground

I have a ladder stand and a climber left over from my " compound bow days" and well, for the last few years since getting an xbow I have been hunting from the ground and really been enjoying hunting even more so.
Yes yes , I know tree stands far out weigh hunting from the ground every thing being equal. But here's a few things that set that apart at least for me.
Carring a tree stand , may it be a ladder or climber, well it gets old real quick....heavy clumbsy etc....the noise setting up and taking down.....maybe I'm just getting old to do this any more. The state of Pa has many hills and valley"s to lug this stuff through.....just tired of doing it.
Not that I won't ever use my stands again, but I"m really really getting into this ground hunting , home made blind kinda hunting. Why you ask.....well I notice I can sit or lay still longer on the ground than in my tree stands....more comfy on the legs and back..I'm less figgity. I even have a better view from the ground.....I can see more movement from the ground not having a tree canopy blocking my views.....or be taken by surprise .....we all had that happen by day dreaming.
I usually make my blinds from the fallen timber or twigs that are naturally there....build myself a little fort type blind....enough so I can move around 360 or so....high enough to break up my human body form , yet low enough for my xbow can rest on a limb for a good anchor point.....all blending in to the natural look of the woods I'm in.
Even my camo clothing blends into the blind....loose fitting camo leafy pattern has done wonders.....so would a light weight Ghillie costume just as long as you don't get tangled in you xbow wearing it.
I wash all my clothing in baking soda and hang out to air dry.....when done with a days hunt I hang outside to air out.....never bring my hunting cloths back into the house. I always have back up clothing.....don't want to wear the same clothing day after day. I wear rubber boots.....no rubber smell after being soaked in river mud.
I also wash myself with baking soda....top to bottom.....even my hair and beard......even swich my mouth out with baking soda. I smell like " nuttin".

Seriously I love the ground .....having had grouse right infront of my face strutting......turkeys by the dozen strolling by....deer of my choice walikng by.....not even knowing I'm there.....it's quite the feeling knowing I'm next to being invisable.
Any one else hunting from the ground ?????
Bob in PA
Old 08-07-2007, 12:03 PM

Default RE: hunting from the ground

I have two ground blinds, one climber, and share several ladder stands between my brother and father. We hunt on privately owned land, so once the ladders are up they stay there until we decide we want to change areas. As for my climber I scout out several places and choose one and chain it to the tree. If afterseveral huntsI do not see anything I'll change trees. So lugging around stands/climbers really do not apply to me (thank god).

I do enjoy my blinds though. Having a comfortable chair is a must. I just ordered a new one that should be here today. I do have to work on my Scent Control though. Having read several threads about it I have to admit I dont do enough to cover my scent.

I do know that on opening day I will be in one of my ground blinds next to our food plot. Have seen some heavy traffic lately. Going to try and put a trail cam out next weekend.

Good luck!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Being in a wheelchair I now hunt entirely from the ground and have found it very effective. I have permanent blinds set year 'round that I deer hunt from and most deer pay little attention to them. One thing I found out that really helps is an all black interior and dark clothes. I've had deer so close I could only see the top oftheir back over my shooting window. That's close!!!

xbowbarry

Old 08-07-2007, 01:53 PM

I killed my first three or four deer from the ground. I went from hunting on the ground to using hang on stands, then one year I had a brush with death or injury and about fell out of a stand trying to get a safety harness on! Ever since then I have been using ladder stands, and like above, it's on privet ground so once its up, it stays up. Now lately I have been getting dad back into hunting so I bought a Dog house blind and we had alot of fun in it, probably talk more then we should if hunting is the task, but we have fun. Right now I have one big blind for us and two little one man blinds that we both use, he uses the blinds more then the ladders. Ground hunting is just fine, you just have to be a little more careful IMO.
Old 08-07-2007, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried hunting from a treestand just once. It was pretty exciting and dang near killed me. I didn't fall out of the tree. The whole stinkin' tree came down with me in it![:-]

Never again. It's nice having good solid earth beneath my feet. And if the critters don't come into range for me, I can go get 'em.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Typical Buck

I'm glad this topic came up cause I am gonna spend about 60% of my hunting hours in a ground blind this year.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Summit Vipper and though it is as safe as a climber can be it is still very dangerous. I don't care much for hauling it around either.

Jason is right, the ladder stands are much better and far safer. Most of my hunting will be from the ground this year as well. I am putting a ladder stand up behind my house but I don't know how much use it will get. There's something about leaving the house to go hunting that makes hunting more enjoyable.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:43 PM

Good to see ya Roger! You going to be taking the boy out with you this season? Seems I remember you saying something about that last season but your wife was not to keen on it. You seen I bought a Excal didn't you! Its alot of fun to!! LOL!!
Old 08-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

I don't like Ground Blinds.I've just been watching where I set up.Two of the Deer I killed last year.The first one I set down in the fork of a blowed down Tree,shot the Deer coming by the top of it.

The next one I was setting under a Cedar where I had killed Deer before.I was calling a Deer to me,when a poacher walked by me carrying a Rifle.I hollerd at him,he turned and left.The Deer watched him leave.I called again the Deer came 10 yards from me when I shot it.

big rockpile
Old 08-08-2007, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have had great a great time hunting from the ground. Actually bought a ladder stand last yr. first time ever using a tree stand and loved the view you get from having the high ground.

On the gound I have had deer walk less than 5 yards from me and never know I exsist. Having your scent control down is the biggest factor, plus you must move with great ease, and have your camo matching perfect with your surroundings. I would either sit directly on the ground with a little cushion or use my dove hunting folding chair that weighs about 1 lb.

Quick Reply: hunting from the ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.