Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 New member with a question >

New member with a question

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New member with a question

Old 07-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New member with a question

Yup were all like sin twisters
Old 10-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Spike

Haven't been around to talk here but I have time to fill Ya in on my experience with the Wildcat. Sept. 15th was our opener for deer with bow and at about 10:45 a.m. I had twin 6 pointers come by my stand. One stayed in the thorny brush eating the leaves and one went the way of some apples I had down. I took a shot and hit him right above the heart. I waited about 1/2 hr. and went and got my partner to start looking for blood. We found the first sign of blood about 15 yds. from where I him him. Long story short, 3 1/2 hrs later and about a mile away we couldn't find any more blood. Felt really bad but we tried hard. I would have been my first nice buck. That was it for that weekend. Two weeks later I went for the weekend and never saw a deer. I went this last weekend and Wha La!!! Friday night I shot a small doe at about 24 yrds. Hit her right behind the heart and I found her about 30 yrds away. Sat. I went out to just see if a buck might come in. Well, I get close to my stand and I see a flag running off right in front of my stand. I get up in the stand and the doe was just walking around about 60 yrds out and finally walked off. 5:30 p.m. comes around and I got a big doe walking out from where I had tracked down the deer from the day before. I had this doe in front of me for about 10 to 12 mins. and when she was totally at ease and broadside I took my shot and looking through the red dot scope I could just see a red blood spot by her heart, no vanes. It almost seemed like it didn't faze her but a second later she jumped up and walked about 15 yrds. and droped. Quite a site to see and will not forget. Both these deer were between 24 and 26 yrds when shot and both times the bolt went straight through and up to the vanes in dirt. Very powerfull. I guess you don't have to spend the big dollar on a crossbow to get this kind of perfomance. Wow! I didn't think I could write this much. I have one tag left and that's for a buck if luck has it.
Take Care
Old 10-22-2007, 10:21 AM

Congrats on your hunt, and sorry about the buck. Lucky for me that has never happened and have always been able to find the deer. I too shot a doe once that was only ten yards out. I shot and she just looked up, looked back and forth and then started eating grass again. I was perplexed that I missed. She took a few steps forward right after she put her head down and I could see my arrow in the dirt covered in blood. I then seen as she was feeding my hole and blood was bubbling out as she breathed. She started having trouble breathing and then fell in about ten yards or so. It too was a neat experience. She never knew what happened!
Old 10-22-2007, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey congrats on those fine eating deer. Bad about the Buck, its that at times.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats....eat well...
Old 10-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Well that sucks about the buck but it happens. I have been lucky with my gun hunting to have never lost one.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the kills. Too bad about the loss. Maybe we can all learn from that. What kind of broadhead were you using? If it was a mechanical perhaps it didn't open. (Or, was it further back from the heart than you thought?) I've gone to Slick Trick magnums for that reason. Getting great flight and terminal performance. As for noise, there isn't much you can do...except throw money at it. That will help a little bit but nothing like a properly silenced compound vertical. Heavier strings and bolts do help some, tho. By the sound of things the noise is bothering you more than the deer, however.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Congrats on the kills. Too bad about the loss. Maybe we can all learn from that. What kind of broadhead were you using? If it was a mechanical perhaps it didn't open. (Or, was it further back from the heart than you thought?) I've gone to Slick Trick magnums for that reason. Getting great flight and terminal performance. As for noise, there isn't much you can do...except throw money at it. That will help a little bit but nothing like a properly silenced compound vertical. Heavier strings and bolts do help some, tho. By the sound of things the noise is bothering you more than the deer, however.
I'm not sure about the broadhead, I'll have to look next week when I go to my cabin. Being that I never found the deer i'll never really know where I hit him. I forgot about the noise after I shot the first deer. I don't notice anylonger. When I was setting up the bow I probably noticed it more because of the amount of shots I was taking. Now it's one shot and done, What noise?
What I did learn from that loss of a deer was, when uncertain of the type of hit, wait a little longer. I found a plate size spot of blood 10 yrds in where that deer went in and I think he had laid down and probably would have died there had we not walked in to soon. Learning experience # 978
Old 10-23-2007, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the does... sorry about your buck. I lost a small doe last year during ML season. And itseemed a decent fairly closeshot . I figure I had to miss her. Couldn't find any blood to even follow. But right after I shot, she either fell or slipped along side a ditch and got back up and ran. I'm hoping I missed and she just slid cause she jumped from the blast. I was having a little trouble with a scope last year. But thought I had it straightened out. I looked for a couple hours trying to follow her hoofprints but there was no snow on the ground then. 50 cal, no blood at all, deer really moving fast, seems I missed, but ??? Never KNow

chris
Old 11-04-2007, 03:03 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: Cossack

Just got back from my place in Northern Wisconsin and checked to make sure what broadheads I had. They are Ti-2Extremes, 125 grain with 1 1/8" cutting dia. Sure are some tiny lookin things but did the job.

Quick Reply: New member with a question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.