Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Swamp Grass!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM

Default Swamp Grass!!!

Last year I talked alot about the new "swamp" spot I found. The front half is full of this stuff that I am just calling swamp grass, but not sure exactly what it is. Any of you guys recognize it. Currently it is about two feet taller then me and has about another foot or so to go before it makes it's tassel or seed head thing. I tried to get the wife in for perspective but she was unwilling so you will have to do with my mug! LOL!! This stuff is where I think I havefound my first "primary" bedding area. I have not been in there since mid march but this area is about a ten acres plot and the back half of it has some trees, but not many. Mostly real small scrubby stuff. That tall stuff has two trails, one coming on and one going out and both do not have a good tree close by! Then there is a area about a half acre in size with a bunch of well used beds in it. They are worn down to the dirt like a dog bed and has all this tall stuff around it, I imagine it is nice and cool in there. My camera is set up right at the edge of this stuff on one of the trails coming out. When I pulled the card the other day and had the twins pic that card was only in a little over a week and I had seventy plus pics of mostly does and fawns. Hopefully the bucks show up for the rut! The camera points at one of the wet spots and is brushy off to one side and then past that it gets into cat tails and more of this stuff. The entire place is about thirty or so acres I think. Now that I have done all this talking not sure what the point in this post was but just wanted to share a little bit about my spot! Fall can not get here soon enough!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Swamp Grass!!!

It is phragmites (sp?) I beleive... It is an invasive species to Ohio which takes over much of the swampy areas, especially in Northern Ohio (like where you are!). I am sure the deer love it as a bedding area, however it does not provide them any nutritional value. My wife is a big anti-phragmites person... She points it out all the time. She is a bio HS teacher and a prof for a couple classes at OSU.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Hello Jason,

I know what you mean about the fall. I can't wait myself. I'm going to do my best this year to make more time for hunting. If I remember right I read a post where you had bought an excalibur. I haven't broke down and bought one yet but the closer the season gets the more it keeps popping up in my mind.

Good luck with your new spot; looks like a keeper.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Geeze Jason, that's some thick stuff. Can you cut a path to guide the animals your way?
Old 07-10-2007, 01:18 AM

Thanks David! I looked it up and you spelled it right too! Its the common reed, a type of grass. Thanks for the name, saved me alot of goggle searches!

Nice to see ya posting Roger! Your read right, Dan and Don finally worked me over enough and was not enough of my fellow Horton guys here to help hold me up so I folded! LOL!! I am loving it and having fun with my new toy!

Don, I tried that once on the back side of swamp off the RR tracks. Noticed the next time I went back I had tracks in my new path and twice after that I walked back into some deer on my path! Both times way before sunrise and they just stood there and looked at me like I was the problem!