Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 New serving....? >

New serving....?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New serving....?

Old 06-29-2007, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New serving....?

Is there anyone out there who does serving? I would love to send out a few good strings with bad servings. I am not looking for acts of charity, just a good deal for a good serving..>>>>>>Whack.

PS.. I can fire my Pheonix without dis pads right??? Please say yes.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New serving....?

Yup you can shoot it without the pads. They're really to take abit sound down so ya won't spook a deer to bad. Servings, there maybe a few on here that might help ya out.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Miller will reserve, but I think Dnk does em too.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:05 PM

If you do that I would send all of them, even the one off your CB. What you pay to send them to him and what he will have to charge in shipping will hurt you more than anything.

I just bought all my materials today for my reserving jig. Came to about thirty bucks for all. Will probably start on it next week if I have time and then I can start to play with it.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:18 PM

Forgot to ask, but do any of you guys know what the length of a FFF string is without any twist in it? I assume when I take string off to reserve and it untwist it will become longer. Was curious and do not feel like taking string off and back on to measure it.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The string is 36" at its normal length during use. I untwist the string 6 twists before reserving. Just take it off the bow at your prefered brace height and untwist it six turns, then serve the string.
Use the dimentions on my threads the one with the wood and metal works well but my all metal jig works the best. Besides, with the metal jig you get to weld!
Old 06-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don, what's the reason for untwisting the string 6 twists prior to serving? Thanks!
Old 06-30-2007, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thought you might be interested, I made a string jig for hickory wood it has only 4 carrage bolts with warshers and wing nuts for metal parts it was interesting to figure out the diamentions but it works fine. I can make any kind of string I just add the second bar for compound and long bow strings the crossbow stings Imake with out the second bar.
In case some one is interested the way it works is by turning theend bar with the vertical pegs to start by doing the first severing for the eye then turn back to sever the ends of the eye together. I will add another pic after supper. Lee

Old 06-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

If any one wants any info just tell me what you want. Lee

Old 06-30-2007, 07:26 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Dan, the only reason I back the string off is to force the string user to twist the string in such a manner that causes the serving to be tightened. It doesn't really tighten it rather it just keeps tension on the serving. Once I've done a serving you can't tighten the serving by twisting the string between your fingers. If I served the string at 35" and the user untwisted the string by six turns the serving would last as long as a factory serving and we wouldn't want that! If I took the string off my bow and put it on my jig I would still back it off four turns or so.