Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Nock question, trying to learn. >

Nock question, trying to learn.

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Nock question, trying to learn.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:59 AM

Default Nock question, trying to learn.

I just bought a crossbow and have a question about nock types. there are half moons, what my arrows came with but which is better half moon or flat abd why. also beamen ics bolts, are they good bolts, that is what came with it as well. thanks, fdm
Old 06-03-2007, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nock question, trying to learn.

If the manual calls for half moon nocks then that is what you need to use!
Arrows are a personal preference and there are people on this forum that
can give you better advice then I,awshucks,DNK are a couple thar come to mind,they have a lot more experence on testing and their advice has
always been of a solid nature,you can go to the bank on it!Welcome to
the forum great folks here always a good time,enjoy!
Old 06-03-2007, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I belive if yor bow is set up for 1/2 moon nocks you can only use 1/2 moon,but if it is set up for flat nocks you can use1/2 moon..
The Guys will correct me if Iam wrong..........
Old 06-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fulldrawmike

I just bought a crossbow and have a question about nock types. there are half moons, what my arrows came with but which is better half moon or flat abd why. also beamen ics bolts, are they good bolts, that is what came with it as well. thanks, fdm
I can't tell you what type of nock the Fred Bear F340 crossbow takes but I can tell you that I like the Beaman Thunderbolts. I have an Excalibur Exocet (200lb) and I am shooting 2 1/2" groups at 50 yards off of a shooting stick. The twelve of the 20" arrows with inserts weighed in at between 326g and 328g. I am using a 125g field tip and broadhead which gives me a hunting arrow of a little over 450g.When I calculated the FOC I came up with 10.2% for field tips and 9.76% with the Slick Trick which islower than the recommended 12% to 15% but I can't complain about the groups.

HH
Old 06-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot any Beemans, quit looking for arrows once I tried GT LII's, but if HH weighed a dozen and only had 2 gr variance, it speaks volums for their QC.

Ican explain the two nock type requirements. If your bows claws that hold the string cocked flip up above the rail upon firing, you can use flat. The string tends to slide off the claws and be forced down onto the rail. If they flip down into the rail, the opposite effect occurs and half moon nocks ensure that the string is going to grab the rear of the arrow preventing a partial dry-fire. This is not written in stone, there are a few exceptions. Like was mentioned, you can use half moon type in a flat type bow, but not vice versa.