Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Bought my first gun today! >

Bought my first gun today!

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Bought my first gun today!

Old 04-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bought my first gun today!

Remington 870 Magnum combo, full camo, 3".
Hardly had it out of the box and was down at the range up the road and burnt through a box of shells.. This is fun!
Someone really needs to teach me about shotgun shells, I just bought a new box just because it had a rabbit and squirrel on it..

Old 04-19-2007, 03:16 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bought my first gun today!

Pydpiper if thats a slug barrel, try a bunch of different slugs, each gun likes one or two types of slugs, my 870 likes winchester 3in. sobats and hornaday sst's. Rich
Old 04-19-2007, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

It is a slug barrel, fully rifled.. I looked at some of the slugs today, didn't know where to start, so I didn't. I will try what you are saying, the guy at the shop said these things (slugs) are accurate up to a couple hundred yards. I need to start looking for a scope now..
I also need to figure out lead/steel shot before I start thinking about slugs..
Old 04-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Try the Winchester Supremes first. I think they are the partition golds clocking at 1950 ft/sec. I have dropped a couple of deer in their tracks as far as 180 yards. You'll need a good rifle scope of up to 6 to 9 power and a variable. B&L 4200 is a great scope for the money. Also SIr sells a 1.5X6 30 mm scope for around $700.00. That is an awsome scope with a really wide field of view. I have two of them and will be getting another this year.
Yes I love scopes!
Re:lead/steel. Steel for migratory birds and lead for everything else.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

Shoooo! $700 for a shotgun scope? WOW How much does an 870 cost anyway? Is the scope more than the gun? I don't know really. I'm not a shotgunner. Xbow and 7mm mag rifle is all I hunt with anymore. And only deer also, no turkeys, squirrels, rabbits ordoves.Just deer. So I'm uninformed about shotguns.
BBO
Old 04-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Mercy....you bought a new gun, but you know nothing about Shells??? dude who let you buy this guy....you better get some serious supervision, before you shoot it.....your post is scaring me.........by the way....the barrel with the bridge on top is a Sabot or a rifle slug barrel.....the other looks like a smooth bore for turkeys or small game.....oh and this is a Xbow Forum not a shotgun forum.....mercy....Honkers
Old 04-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Dominant Buck

David, like I mentioned before, I have the Moss 835 Combo, Moss 500 Combo and the Brn A-5 w/ Hastings Barrel.

The Moss 835 likes Win Partition Gold Sabots
The Moss 500 likes Win BRI Sabots
The Brn A-5 likes Federal Hollow Point Sabots
Old 04-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Reb, I will look into each one of them, first I have to get a grasp on the numbers on these boxes.. I was hoping there was a good/better/best, but it is looking like it will be user preference, again..

Old 04-19-2007, 05:33 PM
Typical Buck

Dude, my mom let me buy it, but I had to save a lot of allowances..

To be clear, the barrel with the bridge on top is a smooth bore, the other is a rifled.. Glad I didn't take you shell shopping with me!Not only would I have bought the ones with the rabbits but I would have shot them out of the wrong barrel.

I must have missed the fact that this is the crossbow forum, got too busy with homework, Dude.

Now I'm gonna have to go buy a crossbow.. Wouldn't want to feel out of place..

ORIGINAL: HONKERS

Mercy....you bought a new gun, but you know nothing about Shells??? dude who let you buy this guy....you better get some serious supervision, before you shoot it.....your post is scaring me.........by the way....the barrel with the bridge on top is a Sabot or a rifle slug barrel.....the other looks like a smooth bore for turkeys or small game.....oh and this is a Xbow Forum not a shotgun forum.....mercy....Honkers
Old 04-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

This should help you understand the #s on the boxes:

Quick Reply: Bought my first gun today!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.