Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Anyone up for the 1,000 shot challenge this year? >

Anyone up for the 1,000 shot challenge this year?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Anyone up for the 1,000 shot challenge this year?

Old 05-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone up for the 1,000 shot challenge this year?

Aw i'm not sure....i hav'nt had any trouble with it..i know i've heard the complaints.....this 400 is 2.5 years old....i just got new cables and Strings put on it...it's ready for another season.....i shot it 25 times today sighting a scope in....The truglo,i had on itwas too high on the xbow...and would'nt adjust corectly....Honkers
Old 05-14-2007, 01:16 PM

I would like to join but I have a couple of questions. First what type of target do you recomend? and second I need some info about rope cockers. I am disabled and need to use a cocker. Mine keeps sliding together and stops in front of the trigger slot. Any suggestions?
Old 05-16-2007, 09:13 AM

fnicoletti, I use a bag target (burlap) filled with plastic (I like 4 or 6 mil. sheet plastic). It will take thousands of shots. I get my bags from a local coffee shop (it smells good for a while). I've found that with mycrossbow I have to packthe baga little tighter with plastic than with my recurve and longbow to keep the bolts from burying in the bag. I bet my plastic that I've used has taken about 8,000 shots from all types of bows over the last 6 years. I just get a new bag but use the same plastic. As far as the cocker question, I don't use one so I'm not sure how to keep it from sliding in. Maybe someone else could chime in with a suggestion.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm halfway there. I just took my 500th shot this morning. Still just have the one miss...guess I'm getting this crossbow shooting thing down. I'm doing much better than last year. Anyone else have hundreds of shots done yet?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

ok i have about 350 shots into my Block and still going strong.....Honkers!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2007, 04:24 PM

600 shots now and 3 misses. Guess I'm getting a bit careless. On one of these misses I used the wrong pin (dummy!). I'll have to bear down and concentrate for the last 400 shots and see if I can make all of them count. I would really encourage you guys to get out and shoot more shots. For me it really makes me know my weapon and teaches me what I should look out for in a hunting situation (and it's a lot of fun). Shooting this much makes me appreciate how easy it is to work on my recurve crossbow (Horton Stag) because every 400 shots or so I need to reserve my string. It just takes 10 minutes. My buddy with a compound crossbow hasn't shot it for months because we haven't had time to take it apart (we're a bit scared to without a press) and replace some nylon washers that are broken. Anyway, I guess that may be a reason for compound crossbowers not to shoot a lot (being difficult to restring or reserve the string) but if you can, shoot lots!! It willgive you that extra confidence in your equipment when you need to takea tricky shot or your heart is going 1000 bpm. This is also a good argument if someone says that learning a crossbow is too easy. I don't know many compound shooters that practice shoot a thousand shots before going hunting with their bow. Even though my crossbow was fairly accurate right out of the box, it took several hundred shots (just like it would with a compound) for me to feel comfortable with its performance, trajectory, etc. and for me to get my shooting form down so that It's consistent. So,
Get out and shoot!!!...if you can :^)
I'm hoping to hunt pronghorn in Wyoming in Aug so I have just 2 months more practice before hunting. I'm still shooting the same bolt for all my practice shots. Hope I can use it to deflate a goats lungs in Aug. It's holding up well so far.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have one miss and have shot 225 times. No rush fer me as Sept. is still in the distance.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 PM

Alright Smoke, slow and steady. Doin' great so far.