Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 First year bowhunting and no shot yet!! >

First year bowhunting and no shot yet!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

First year bowhunting and no shot yet!!

Old 10-31-2006, 03:09 PM

Default First year bowhunting and no shot yet!!

This is my first year bowhunting and I have not been fortunate to shoot at anything yet. I know it is coming though. I have seen a ton of animals, just this morning I had a doe, spike and 6 point 42 yards from my stand for 40 minutes but they never came any closer. This has happened to me many times. They dont smell me I just havent been in the right place at the right time. This morning 15 turkeys joined the deer actually and it is turkey season also in pa. I thought I would have gotten a shot at something but no luck. The funny part is I am having a blast. I am enjoying hunting more doing this than I ever have before.

thanks for listening. Hopefully my next post will have a picture attachment.

Old 10-31-2006, 03:13 PM

Default RE: First year bowhunting and no shot yet!!

Just be sure not to overhunt that stand. If you're in it too much they seem to figure it out and avoid that spot. You may want to shift the location if they are staying consistantly out of range. I always find that the first time in a stand is the best.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

They'll come around sooner or later. Have you thought about moving the stand? I am also in my first year of bow hunting and have yet to get anything either, they are coming in but not close enough. Being it is my first year I won't get too upset is I cant get anything. Atleast you are still enjoying yourself out there, that is half the fun! Now go and work on getting us a pic! Good luck and welcome to the site.
Brandon
Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds like your not to far off. I would put up another stand or move the one your using now. I agree that the 1st time in a stand is the best chance to get some thing. Dont be afraid to move stands through the season. I learned this the hard way many many years ago. Good luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

At least your seeing some action!!!! Like you said your having a blast! Some times if you move your stand closer to them you might get lucky!!! 10 yards makes a world of a difference!! Thats if it is possible!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

don't feel bad. it took me the last half of my second season to harvest a deer. just continue to observe, read, and learn new things and it will come. it is all down hill after your first one!
Old 10-31-2006, 05:46 PM

Glad to hear you are having a good time! Keep it up, maybe move your stand, the time will come. Also, thats a lot of sweet action man! Good luck the rest of this year.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

I had an experience yesterday that made me switch stands on the fly. I was in a stand that I had prepared by cutting shooting lanes, basically making it a killing field for the deer. Anyway, at 0820 I had 3 does come in and to make a long story short, they busted me[:@]. I knew that I had to find another stand site at least 4 hours before sunset, so I did. I didn't prep this tree until the day I first climbed it and I killed a spike the same day from it. I believe that the stand I started my hunt in is now tainted, as I've been busted 2 times in that stand. If I would have drawn my bow when I first saw the deer though I would have connected. I got impatient and just had to do something and they busted me at 11 yards. It's hard to stay perfectly still when you think that your eyeblinks are giving you away.

A deer has keen survival instincts and they learn from thier experiences. As hunters we need to do the same. Improvise, adapt and put the venison on the table
Old 10-31-2006, 07:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hang in there! Last year was my 1st bowhunting and on the last day of bowseason a nice doe walked right into my set up. 5yd shot, dbl lung pass through. My first bow deer and my greatest trophy. You will get yours! GOOD LUCK!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Your having a blast, that's great. Remember, don't rate your success or failure strictly on a filled tag. Some of my best seasons didn't result in a downed deer.

Quick Reply: First year bowhunting and no shot yet!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.