Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Its been a long time since I bought a gun soooo >

Its been a long time since I bought a gun soooo

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Its been a long time since I bought a gun soooo

Old 04-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Its been a long time since I bought a gun soooo

After shooting this I am flat out amazed at he accuracy but floored at how much the wind affects it. It is a Remington 17HMR.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Its been a long time since I bought a gun soooo

sweet lookin gun! do you mean your mad at how much the wind effects it? i heard the .17's are bad at wind resistance which is why i was looking twards the .22 wmr or the .22-250
Old 04-07-2007, 08:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

sweet lookin gun! do you mean your mad at how much the wind effects it? i heard the .17's are bad at wind resistance which is why i was looking twards the .22 wmr or the .22-250
The 22 mag and the 22-250 are two different classes. The nice thing about the 17 is the accuracy that that the 22 mag does not have and will not richocet. The 22-250 has recoil that the 17 has none and it really quiet, almost like a 22 mag. Check this out http://www.chuckhawks.com/magnum_rimfire_comparison.htm
I am flat out amazed at the accuracy of it and its ability to kill to 120 yards. My buddy wanted to put down a rooster that was really ignroant and attacked anyone that walked into the coup. It would spur you even after booting it. We put it out at 120 yards it took a neck shot!
Old 04-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Typical Buck

Poor old rooster. Now he's dead and there is a coup full of unhappy widowed hens morning with little black vells and everything! He was just trying to protect his girlfriends is all. He probably though you was some kind of a chicken plucker or something. I be ashamed dnk. LOL
BBO
Old 04-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BuddyBo

Poor old rooster. Now he's dead and there is a coup full of unhappy widowed hens morning with little black vells and everything! He was just trying to protect his girlfriends is all. He probably though you was some kind of a chicken plucker or something. I be ashamed dnk. LOL
BBO
LOL, I do feel bad. But not bad enough! LOL! The owner's had enough of that rooster and I was in the right spot at the right time! The rooster however was not!
Old 04-07-2007, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL, I "Zwickied" mine at 20 yds. Turned his big butt into cat food for the zoo. Arrow stayed in too!!

Dnk: I have a .17 also and they are worthless in a crosswind. Had a few .17 Rem and they were bad that way too. Even my .223 shows the wind affect at 100 yds.

You guys might get a kick outta this one. After my wife passed away she got a money solicitation from PETA that had a shiny new nickel in it. I put it up at 100 yds and punched a hole in near center w/ the .17 hmr and sent it back telling them I didn't think their organization was worth a "plugged nickel" lol. Never heard from them again!
Old 04-07-2007, 10:06 PM

That was one of the main reasons I went with the .204Ruger. I was all set on getting a 17HMR but then a few guys at work beat me to it and both of them came to work saying the same thing you did. They said a good breeze would affect it and both seemed unhappy about it. That same week I happen to read a article about the .204 and that was what I went with. Pretty much flat out to 300 and then only off by -12 at 400. The wind is also alot better. I liked it because it shared the same ricochet properties as the 17. Set it up on a cardboard box target and it explodes by the time it reaches the other side of the box! I love that little gun, just need to find my right hand load!
Old 04-08-2007, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well wish the best you with it. I had a sweet shooting .222 until some a$$ stole it from me. They're nice and fast enough very lite recoil if any and could reach out an touch someone/thing!
Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Don, back in the late 60's I shot .17cal 20/25grsRemington and in 2005 while visting my wifes cousin in NC, we shot over 300 rounds of.17HMR in a Savage. We were shooting 2liter Coke bottles filled with water @ 100yds. All we could find was real tiny pieces of the bullets.

I'm glad I got to shoot the .17HMR because it convinced me not to get one.Hey, if you are happy with it, that's all that counts, enjoy!
Old 04-08-2007, 07:22 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

The only real problem with it is the wind, everything else with it is perfect up to around 150 yards. It is a super accurate round. I guess I will have to take out the 300 win mag for those windy days!

Quick Reply: Its been a long time since I bought a gun soooo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.