Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 question about a specific broadhead >

question about a specific broadhead

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

question about a specific broadhead

Old 03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default question about a specific broadhead

OK. I shoot spitfire 100 gr.broadheads in my Ten Point QX4 Crossbow. They fly the same as my 100 gr. field points at 20 and 25 yards. I saw just last week at the Ohio Deer and Turkey Expo show that the spitfires now have itin aXP model which does away with the three sided hardened tip and replaced it with a sharpen half moon shaped blade at the tip end. The mach. blades are the same at the regular spitfires. Their name is spitfires XP either in 100 gr or 125 gr. The manufacturer there told me that the XP modelscut on impact. Well, it looks like to me the hardened three sided tip would cut on impact also and may not plane up or down like the two sided tip on the XP. What do you think? I'm personally a little leary of this new XP model and I knowsome of you use the spitfires for hunting like I do. Any comments and have any of you heard of this new head yet? Thanks
BBO
Oh, and the manufacturer there showing them, had none for sale, they were just showing their heads for the show, or I would have bought a pack to try out.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: question about a specific broadhead

I personally shoot the spitfire 100's, the 125's only have a little spacer behind to add the extra 25gr.

They do not cut on impact, the will punch, but with that and the extra KE our bows have, that is not much of a factor. I have looked at the XP and have wondered if it would plane in flight as well. I honestly do not think that if it did plane, that it would not be effected very much, but since we are talking about the accuracy that we are, it could become noticable, but not managable.

hope this helped and not cnfused you more
Old 03-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: question about a specific broadhead

I think the one you are talking about is the one with a cut on contact head being a tip with sharpened edges. There isn't much flat surface to catch with wind so planing wouldn't be a problem I think.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: question about a specific broad head

Spitfire has a new one out for turkeys, are we talking mechanicals? They appeared to be identical except instead of coming to a sharp point the heads were almost rounded, to decelerate quickly, hopefully preventing a pass through..
Am I talking about something completely different here? Wouldn't be the first time..
Old 03-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pydpiper

Spitfire has a new one out for turkeys, are we talking mechanicals? They appeared to be identical except instead of coming to a sharp point the heads were almost rounded, to decelerate quickly, hopefully preventing a pass through..
Am I talking about something completely different here? Wouldn't be the first time..
These are not new, they have been around for more then a few years. The type of point on that head might casue you to lose 5 foot pounds of KE on penertration, maybe even 10 fps. I think that you would still get a complete pass through with our bows on deer, so I do not think that it would acomplish what it was ment to do, NOT TO PASS THROUGH the bird.

Old 03-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Typical Buck

I thought about that after I posted it, it was the first time I had seen it, so it was new to me.. I was shooting a "new to me" small game head today, it was passing through my bag in a hurry.. It's claim was blunt force, there is no animal it wouldn't pass through at that speed..
I stand corrected, it isn't new. This will be my first turkey season... Actually it will be my first season for any animal that I couldn't sweet talk into submission any other day..

So I was talking about something completely different..
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Those Spitfires are Gobbler Getters and are supposed to smash their way through and provide some shock on the way through. I am sure Scorpios are still a good idea with or without the Gobbler Getters. Only problem I have with the Scorpio Grapplers is the fact that the turkey might be flailing away with a sharp broadhead sticking out so maybe the Gobbler Getter and Scorpio is a good idea. I haven't used the Gobbler Getters by they look like they'd slow the turkey down a bit. Better yet a 2 oz load of lead shot! LOL!
Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 AM

desisions ; desisions ; desisions; will it ever stop.. with thw bows we shoot now,I think most will pass thru. unless you have a flat point or as they did years back,put a washer behind the head.???????
I just shoot the same all the time.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

Tree Climber, years ago when I first looked into hunting turkeys with a bow, I looked into the washer behind the head as an arrow arrester. I was told back then to make sure to use some sort of arrow arrester to stop the arrow (o-ring, rubber band, washer, or store bought units).

I choose the Zwicky Scropios becasue they slide on the shaft to cause lesss dammage to the meat and do not effect the flight of the arrow. Dnk, the scropios do impact alot of shock into the bird (complete KE from the arrow). I once shot a Tom at 7 yards and the arrow hit, moved the bird 2 yards on impact. To see the bird move sideways on impact was quite the sight. Also the head usually sticks out a good little distance past the bird. Another god thing abouut the spitfire's is that after they exit and the as the arrow slows, the free motion of the blades will allow them to close so the sharp edges are not waiting to cut someone.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did a test on Zwickeys behind Slick Trick 1 1/8" diameter on a huge rooster that jumped me one time too many. Bow was Phoenix, about 280 fps, range 20 yds, he did one little back flip and never moved. I took a broadside shot aimed and hit where the wing joined the body. Arrow stayed in. Have fun!

Quick Reply: question about a specific broadhead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.