Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Crossbows ... for everyone or just the disabled >

Crossbows ... for everyone or just the disabled

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Crossbows ... for everyone or just the disabled

Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default Crossbows ... for everyone or just the disabled

I thought that I would put this forth to the forum since the topic of crossbows, legal or non in the archery season is a very hot topic.

First I will post a message I sent to someone else before (slightly edited to hide personaly information)
I have talked with alot of people that tried to get permits (different States, different regulations). Prime example I will use is me, so I will not infrenge on someone else's privicy. Many years ago, when I was 19 I dislocated my shoulder playing a pickup game of football. I already had 4 years of shooting a Browning Bushmaster 50% let off compound. I could constantly stick 7 arrows inside a 3 inch plastic lid at 30 yards so I do know what it takes to be efficent with the vertical bows. Well my shoulder, when it was dislocated, rolled out of the socket on the bottom. It was my left shoulder and I am right handed. When I tried to shoot my compound a few years later, I felt the shoulder start to roll out again and was able to release the arrow safely before the shoulder popped. I no longer feel that it is safe for me to shoot the compound, I believe that most everyone else would feel the same.

The trouble is, most States would not reconize me as having a disability so I would be limited from archery hunting. Is this fair, no it is not. The only reason people like me are stopped from hunting is because of people like the anti-crossbow groups that cry to your government claiming that you want the woods all to yourself and do not want more people into it. Heck in New York, if you have the ability of moving a trigger finger, you are not disabiled enough to qualify. Now an example of a friend in the southern States, he messed up his shoulder this year and could not pull back his bow. He did not hunt at all because of this. Is this fair, no it is not. He should have had the right to go and pick up another bow (crossbow) and do his hunting. The crossbow is only another hunting tool, that is all it is.

Now back is 2001 or 2002, the US Federal government ruled that it is discrimination to stop hunters from using the crossbow to hunt if they have a disability. That is, any disability that restricts the use of a vertical bow. They also ruled that there should not be any extra costs assosiated with any permits that may be needed unless every able bodied hunter has to incure the same costs. Interesting HUH!!!!! Now abouut the extra costs, I do not know about your area, but most areas when you get a Dr to fill out a form, you have to pay him. Then, you might consider the possible time off work needed to get to the Drs for him to check you out for the disability, also the gas to get you there and back. Might even be parking fees when you get there. These are all expenses that the disabled hunter would have to go through which the abled bodied hunter does not. It this fair ..... NO IT IS NOT!!!!!

You see, people are getting tired of being discriminated against and when comments are made by anti-crossbow groups, basicly saying that I do not want you in my woods becasue I do not want anyone else there, they get upset. I honestly do not blame them. On top of that, they are talking about hunting on PUBLIC LAND, land that they have as much right to hunt on as they do, it is not your (the anti's) perrsonal land.

Now to the point of the elderly or slight bodied people. I had a Girlfriend a while back that was 5'5" and 120lbs. She was not very musciular and would never be able to draw back a hunting bow and hold it to be eithically compitant to hunt. There are also many youth that are in the same situation. I know many youths that have started to hunt with the crossbow and switched to the compound when they got bigger. Now they have the choice to choose what ever bow they want that day. I also know of many elderly that stop hunting because they can no longer safely draw their compounds.

We as hunters need to increase our numbers becasue we aer constantly fighting a fight to keep our rights of hunting. New youths need to start earlier (before the girlfriends/boyfriends get into their life) so if that means they start with the crossbow, then that is good for everyone. If we do not increase our numbers, the antihunters wil win out and you will not have a season to hunt in or ague to stop us from hunting in. That is just the basic facts and the truth. I am sorry if I was too blunt for you.
Now I will state that I believe that crossbows should be available to everyone, not just the disabled. But allowing it only to the disabled would be a first step that I could accept if that is all I could get. But sho would cover up the costs for getting the permits which the abled bodied hunters do not have to get. After all, the federal government in the USA has ruled that it is illegal to charge the disabled any fee that the abled bodied does not also incure.

Enough said on my part, sorry it was so long.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:53 PM

Default RE: Crossbows ... for everyone or just the disabled

We all here ya , but I will have to say scratch the five and make it six![&o]
Old 03-07-2007, 07:38 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with you bro. as far as your shoulder injury....i don't see why your dr would'ntfill out a form for the xbow. my doc says he's filled out many of them. i think it's time to find another dr. i do have an advantage in so far as being a disabled er nurse. i know a lot of doctors....i knowthosewho arereasonable and those who aren't. it's not like your doc is "giving
" you something. if you have an unstable joint. that's good reason for an xbow.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well they have always had the crossbow listed as part of the primitive weapons here in AR but the last few years they have listed it as legel for bow season even so most that do not have any problems shoot a compound, but you would not believe the ignorant prejudice from some archers and even some conservation people. There are some that think if its got a stock it will shoot like a gun. Lee
Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 PM

your a prime example for an xbow,and im going to have to cast my vote for the disabled only for xbows.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:09 PM

I think we have to push to getthe Xbow legal without the stigma of a handicap permit. If I wish to hunt it will have to be with a Xbow, not because I am disabled, but because I choose to no longer hunt with a traditional bow. I can still draw and shoot, but I have enough pain that my accuracy has deteriated to the point will I will not risk injuring and loosing a game animal. If you claim you are disabled, where will that information end up? At your job, or maybe your insurance company? I for one do not know where that info will land and do not want any problems with such things until I REALLY am handicaped. I suppose I could be a little paranoid, but I guess I don't always trust the government and other agencies to treat me fairly. I don't want to give them any extra ammo before I have to.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

Shewe .... one advantage for me is that I am from Ontario Canada. I nver missed a days hunt because of my shoulder. I just switched to the crossbow. About my should being a disability, that would depend on what state your tryig to hunt in. I actually knew of one hunter that went through the trouble of getting his Dr to fill out the forms for 2 different States and was granted, then a third State refused him. He had a degenerated shoulder, could not hold a bow at draw. If your disabled and a friend asks you to go on a free hunt to another State (permit needed) with 4 months notice. Guess what, chances are that you will not be able to get that premit in time to go. Again, is that fair ...............

The big thing is ........ if it is also only left available to the disabled, then your stigmatizing the disabled by marking them with the crossbow. If you se someone with a crossbow .... THEY MUST BE DISABLED ....... again is that fair ....... NO IT IS NOT!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

The crossbow is simply an arrow launching device, there's no acceptable, logical reason for it to not be available for all to use if they choose to. I don't have pain issues, I just love shooting them. My state allows them for all game except for whitetail deer during our early archery period due to prejudice and organized discrimination on the part of he misinformed, though you can use them for deer during our late archery period for antlerless only. We had to fight for years just to get that little crumb due to the heavy backdoor politics and misinformation fed to our DNR by the "my way or the highway" crowd.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

We want someone who might not be a hunter or even an anti hunter to be the one that decides whether you should hunt or not? And we all know doctors are no different than others and some will work things their way if possible. What about people that are not as accurate as they used to be but still want to hunt? I know that's just a tough break 'ol man right? Too many variables for anyone to be telling me how I spend my recreational time and what I can use to when I go. I think our first and only line of obligation is to the animal for the quickest and cleanest kill possible. The xbow gives that. The hell with the handicapped option, full season. Compounds are a handicapped recurve, they get full season without a note from the doc.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup CB should be allowed during archery seasons in all states!

Quick Reply: Crossbows ... for everyone or just the disabled

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.