Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Excalibur magtip >

Excalibur magtip

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Excalibur magtip

Old 02-23-2007, 03:59 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Excalibur magtip

Reb, David said it right. The carved limb tips can only be used with dacron. Dacron can be used on both carved and mag tips. All others can only be used on mag tips.
You adjust brace height by twisting the string. Do not worry about a small difference in length. All strings will stretch an inch or more depending on how it was made.
May be you understand Canadian better.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Reb, David said it right. The carved limb tips can only be used with dacron. Dacron can be used on both carved and mag tips. All others can only be used on mag tips.
You adjust brace height by twisting the string. Do not worry about a small difference in length. All strings will stretch an inch or more depending on how it was made.
May be you understand Canadian better.
I keep reading what I posted from Excal onstrings and they list three with Info. I see that the Standard mentions Dacron, but says to be used with Curved Tips.

Hey, explain thosethree Strings to me?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

I will try to give a basic lesson on strings. In the biginning the dacron was the only string used and the limbs werre of the carved tip variety. When new materials came out in strings, they were investigated for the bows. It was found that they would give faster speds on the arrows, but it was also determined that these new strings would chew up the tips on the carved tips, ending up destroing the limbs. This was why they came out with the MAG TIP on the limbs. These tips also gave more advantages then just giving the ability of using the other strings. If you have dammage in a dryfire, more or not, it will only be the magtips and not the limbs that get dammaged. That will be alot cheaper repair then if the limbs got destroyed.

In other words, if you have the bow with Mag Tips, then you can use any of the 3 Excalibur Strings but if you have the carved tip limbs, you can only use the Dacron String. The only reason they continue to make them is that they are generally quieter and people with carved tips still want them.

I hope this clears this up some for you.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:24 PM
Dominant Buck

OK, what I understand is, you can use #3 on #3, #2 and #1, but you cannot use #1 and#2 on #3, is that right?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: GrumpyTom

In other words, if you have the bow with Mag Tips, then you can use any of the 3 Excalibur Strings but if you have the carved tip limbs, you can only use the Dacron String. The only reason they continue to make them is that they are generally quieter and people with carved tips still want them.

I hope this clears this up some for you.
Yes, that does Clear up! Thanks
Old 02-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

OK, cansomeone explain what,

Flemish is made of?

Excel is made of?

Another question, doall Excal's made after 2001made with MagTips?

Don, are all the Strings you make are Dacron?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Here is a magtip:

Here is an example of brace heigth:

Old 02-23-2007, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks David!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Flemish are made of the Belgins who do not speak french. LOL!
Reb, flemish is only the way the strands of bow string are made. The strands are twisted together. Look at my strings. The endless loop strings are just wound around and around and the loops are then served with threads. The flemish strings are "woven' around each other and twisted like a rope.
Excel is a material and flemish is a way of making the string. Excel is a trade name of the string, different from dacron. Dacron is more "stretchy" than excel.
Sorry Reb donno about the date.
I make strings out of dacron and fast flight but do not make them out of excel.
I know this is confusing Reb so ask away!
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Excalibur mag tip

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

OK, cansomeone explain what,

Flemish is made of?

Excel is made of?

Another question, doall Excal's made after 2001made with Mag Tips?

Don, are all the Strings you make are Dacron?
Don can make any kind of string, in any type of design, Flemish or endless loop.

The FFF string is "fast flight" material, Flemish is the way the string is on the loop ends. Fast Flight material + Flemish ends = FFF.
The alternative to Flemish is "endless loop", that is seen on the factory excel string, it it recognizable by the ends being "served" opposed to twisted. (see picture below)
Dacron is "Dacron".. it is the most forgiving of strings andthe trade offof that it is a bit slower than FFF. Dacron is very quiet when firing.
Excelis the standard, and I don't know much about it because it has no purpose in my opinion. It shoots the same speed as Dacron but with more noise and limb wear. I don't use mine.

Here are the two ends, top is endless loop, you can tell by the fact that it is served.
Bottom is Flemish, sorta like a braid, but more of a twist. I watched Don do one up but it was like a Copperfield trick..

You can have a Dacron with either a Flemish or endless loop, or a fast flight with either as well. If your not confused yet, than keep reading..
I don't know the benefit of either end outside of the work involved in their creation, I have both and can report no difference in arrow speed or consistency (believe me, I checked), so I personally don't care.
Here is the Flemish after a couple shots, I happen to think this looks very cool on the bow:

So, three materials, Fast flight, Dacron and Excel.
Two end loops available, "Endless loop" or "Flemish".

Dacron, being more forgiving (stretchy/flexible)is OK to use on the carved tips, the other strings are to tough and less capable of absorbing the shock of the limbs, carved tips widen the area of the blow, so they can be used with any string. The quick stop due to string deceleration would eat through the weak points of a carved tip, like so.. (loving this string Don!)

So, the hard cold facts.

My Exocet at 10 yards, 435 grain arrow.
Fast flight material (regardless of end loops) 316 FPS
Excel (I only have endless loop) 299 FPS
Dacron, (regardless of end loops) 299 fps
So to use Dacron gives a quiet bow, and is easy on the limbs after many shots.. I dry fired more times than I will tell you guys about with ZERO damage to my bow.
I Dry fired once with Excel and had a limb replaced.
Never dry fired a Fast Flight, never, never want to.

It was explained to me like this (misquoted from Awshucks):
You never want to dry fire a crossbow.
You never, ever want to dry fire a bow with a Fast flight string.

Quick Reply: Excalibur magtip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.