Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Memory retention of animals? >

Memory retention of animals?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Memory retention of animals?

Old 02-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Memory retention of animals?

Thanks guys.. This is the stuff you learn from experience, and I have next to none of that..
I take scent seriously, I go through quite a ritual before heading out, right down to the scent of my foot prints.
Today I noticed there are a bunch more little does than there have been in the past, in odd spots too. I always walk their paths to and from the bush, guess I shouldn't be doing that.. It has not changed their habits yet (I do this almost daily) but it may backfire on me when it really counts.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

David, there are no hard and fast rules. There are generalities to follow like scent control but there are always exceptions. As Buddy said, deer have personalities and are different like people are. Their personality is yet another variable factor in hunting but one that is difficut to nail down. To beat a deer at the survival game you have figured that out or you are lucky. I'd rather be lucky!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Typical Buck

The more knowledge I have the less mistakes (dumb mistakes) I am liable to make, or so I hope.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Buddy

I used to raise whitetails for over a dozen years and I learned first hand that each deer is an individual.
BBO
Buddy,we have awoman that raisesDeer about 3 miles from me and I visither Deer farm quite often. She will call me when she has collected fresh Estrus Doe Pee.

Here in FL we cannot keep Native Deer in captivity, they have to be Out of State and you need a Special Permit from the State and the Conservation Officers do come around periodically for inspection.

You are right, Deer do have personalities and act different in different occasions. By observing them on the farm,I have noticed that some Deer act differently at times. Some Deer can be hand fed and some will wait to you leave or are a good distance from them.

Barbra does not let anyone in the compound cause they are very unpredictable on behavior. You never know what they are going to do next!

Now, many will tell you that's not true because they have known peolpe that have raised Fawns and have seen videos of perfectly trained Deer! My answer to them, To Each His Own!
Old 02-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog
Now, many will tell you that's not true because they have known peolpe that have raised Fawns and have seen videos of perfectly trained Deer! My answer to them, To Each His Own!
Your right Reb. Unless we can figure out how to talk to deer we'll never know. Otherwise it is just a matter of opinion or assumption. It is important that hunters know this (matter of opinion). With deer, nothing is written in stone and there are always exceptions to a "rule".

Old 02-11-2007, 03:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Barbra does not let anyone in the compound cause they are very unpredictable on behavior. You never know what they are going to do next!

To many videos on the net of people taking a beating for me to ever desire getting into a pen with them!!!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

To many videos on the net of people taking a beating for me to ever desire getting into a pen with them!!!
James, go to theVideos & PhotoragphyCams or Deer Forum and see the Videos this one guy has posted of how tame his Deer are!
Old 02-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Typical Buck

Hog, here in NC we could only keep native deer to our area and with a purchased license as well with yearly inspections. I would always hand feed my doe fawns after three days with their mothers,as I wanted them to be tame but the bucks were allowed to be feed by their mothers and therefore keep mostly wild. But, I'm saying all this to say just this: No matter if you hand raise a fawn, it is such an indivisual, that not all doe fawns would tame up. As soon as they were fed, they'd run off and not let you handle them or touch them at all! Most fawns would however and become your child so to speak. (it was a very interesting dozen years raising these deer, and I wouldn't take a million dollars for the experience I had doing it)
BBO
(and yes, I named all my deer to suit their disposition)
Old 02-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Typical Buck

could'nt agree more reb. like any other animal, the one constant is they all are unpredictable. hehe.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:41 PM
Dominant Buck

Buddy, I'min agreement with you not against you!

Quick Reply: Memory retention of animals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.