HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Crossbows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows-76/)
-   -   Memory retention of animals? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/crossbows/179941-memory-retention-animals.html)

Pydpiper 02-10-2007 03:48 PM

Memory retention of animals?

How long does an animal remmeber stuff? For example, If I walk through a place that is frequented by animals set myself down, how long until the spooked animals return?

Rebel Hog 02-10-2007 03:54 PM

RE: Memory retention of animals?

After the first rain?:)I have seen Deer and Hogs come thru hours after a kill on the same spot. A scent has to be very alarming to them to spook them! JMO

ranger56528 02-10-2007 04:01 PM

scent and being still and quite is the key.Ive had deer come back within 20 mn of me getting into my spot on the ground.But if you spook them bad it could be a day or longer.

Pydpiper 02-10-2007 04:12 PM

I was thinking more of movement, assuming I had the scent part covered..

ranger56528 02-10-2007 04:27 PM

Eye's are a big thing too...eye contact is a bad deal.Ive had them very close and if I look away(down) they will stay,but soon as my eye's havemeet thiers,they usealy move on.

Pydpiper 02-10-2007 04:46 PM

So from a ground stand/blind perspective..
Say I get some free afternoon time, there is an area where many breeds of animals exist during the day, I come in and they flee.. I set up my blind downwind and wait.. They will come back? I guess I have this notion they will see the blind and remember a person went into it..
So much to learn..

Rebel Hog 02-10-2007 05:50 PM

David, I know for sure that Deer mark a spot with their Interdigital Glands on their feet to warn other deer as a danger zone.

I personally have never seen the same Deer come by the same location after I have been made, but after an hour or so other's have come by.

ranger56528 02-10-2007 06:00 PM

yep..the more they put out the longer it will be before they come back.I would rather have them whease at me then to scent mark the area.

Pydpiper 02-10-2007 06:33 PM

I am glad I started this thread..
I had to Google "Interdigital Glands" just to see if Reb was going totake me for a ride..;)I have never heard of these glands before, and I wouldn't have if it wasn't for this..
Thanks guys, that is some good info. Definitely something I need to look deeper into.

ranger56528 02-10-2007 06:38 PM

I just refer to it as the bad scent gland....dont like big words.
So now you know.Your smarter now then you were a hour ago.;).