Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Memory retention of animals? >

Memory retention of animals?

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Memory retention of animals?

Old 02-10-2007, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Memory retention of animals?

Way smarter..
So, how often do they use these things? I can understand it would be a constant odor, but just how bad do you have to pi$$ one off to really make a difference?
Old 02-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

if they just get a wif of something not right they will normaly just give a huff/whease sound and be off and will come back if its thier travel area.But if thier tail goes up and they bolt out thats when they will realy scent a area to warn others not to come into the area.
if they lift thier tail huf/whease alittle they normally dont scent out the area.
They have to feel a threat......
Old 02-10-2007, 07:02 PM

I have had does walk by, give me the head bob, and give me the flag and run off, only to come back by for the evening hunt. I had a buck come in close, but then I moved to fast and he made me, stomped and bolted. Two days later he comes out of woods about 150 yards away and I hit the can call and he stops and comes right in, but as he comes in there is a tree right between us, but I think no big deal, when he gets close he will pass it, tree is about fifteen yards away. He gets right in front of tree about five feet out, stops and actually looks around tree with his head and looks right up at me!!! Snorts and bolts the opposite direction. He remembered me! But a week later he must have forgot be cause he came right in to the same call and I shot him!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

David, most of the time whena Deer spots you on Standand makes you out, his tail will go up and makes a turn around in a flash and bolts.

Now, when itlooks up andspots something in the tree which it can't identify (You In Total Camouflage, Face And All and No movement whatsoever) It will stand there and stump its foot and moving it's head tryingto identify it. Well, his stumping of the foot is putting out an Interdigital Scent on the spot.

Deer are very inquisative(sp). I have been taking a crap with the rifle leaning against the tree and Deer have come up to investigatemy wonderful aroma.No Lie!!!
Old 02-10-2007, 08:45 PM
Typical Buck

when a buck "makes you"....he generally does'nt come back. when an old doe "makes you" she'll warn every deer in the area. can ruin a good stand for the entire season. hehe.[8D]
Old 02-11-2007, 01:04 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Animal memory is surpisingly poor. Conditioning however is different. Many will argue or doubt it but even dogs that have lived with a family for years will have their memories fade away but possibly not completely. My best dog was with me for a year and went away for six weeks for training. When I went to pick him up he did not recognize me visually. I walked right by him and the rat just glanced at me. But a few minutes after he got my scent he started to sniff the air and in about five minutes he remembered and jumped all over me! Some things condition animals quickly like fear, so if you hit a deer and he gets way they'll remember quickly. If you leave your scent for them to smell once they don't seem too worried. But if you visit them over a few days they seem to avoid that area. I can only guess that they figure a predator is lurking and hunting for them. They also may visit the area much later (like in the evening) when they can no longer pick up your sent. I think that is what makes deer nocturnal more than anything else. How long before they return? They may return right away to see if they can figure out what you are. Once they have figured you out they have started to patterned you before you patterned them! The more you let on about yourself the more you educate them, the more you condition them. Conditioning is realitively permanent. The more the scarely the education the faster and better they remember.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:55 AM
Typical Buck

So, when the shot-gunners push through the bush on a controlled hunt it screws my chances for the rest of the season? I was hoping things would just go back to normal once they left.. If they weren't trespassing I wouldn't be so concerned..

Old 02-11-2007, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends, there was a guy who hunted the same stand every day at my friends place it got so we sat and watched the deer sneak in and look to see if he was there. I think it was because he shot at a lot of them and missed them he was a sad sack. Lee
Old 02-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Another thing pydpiper, I used to raise whitetails for over a dozen years and I learned first hand that each deer is an indivisual. Like people, some are smarter than other, some are more wary than other, and some are just plain dumb! Some deer will spook easily while others will torerate amost anything. I truly believe that pressure is theone bad thing that will effect your stand area. Little pressure, lots of deer. Human sightings and scent are secondary at my stand location because the pressure they recieve is very little and I do ALWAYS stay outta their santuary area at all cost. I have gone in there only once to retrieve a downed buck but I waited until 9:30 PM to do it and I got outta there as quickly as possible. Don't worry about running deer outta your stand area when you go in. You can't do anything about it then anyway. They will be back if you are still and quite and get you mind back on the beauty of nature. Thisis my learned opinion from many years of being around the wonderfully unpredictable Whitetail Deer. Hope this helps ya.
BBO
Old 02-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I agre with Buddy. But there is one thing you can do. That is to lower the impact you have for that area you are watching. Reduce the amount of scent you leave when going in and out and keep a low profile by going in where they do not (don't walk along their trail and keep as scent free as possible), go in when they aren't around and cannot see you, keep quiet etc.
I doubt that one pass by a shotgunner is going to boot them out but it may boot some out. That years deer is going to take more than a 6 year old buck. One things for sure they won't hang out where you park your vehicle because of the noise and scent you leave. They say that there are many bucks in the woods that have seen man but have never been seen by human eyes. I believe that to be true. One push and the odd old wise surviving buck is probably gone from your grasp because it either goes somewhere else or it will turn nocturnal.
As Buddy said, stay out of thier sancutary or bedroom and you can milk the area like a cow. No question that some are better survivors than the others. Wheather or not its is intellegence or just better programing is something we'll never know. Its like waterfowl hunting. We never hunt their pond/bedroom until the few days. The last few hunts are a slaughter but they repopluate the pond next year. Maybe not all of them come back but the same numbers do.

Quick Reply: Memory retention of animals?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.