Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 unusual sightings >

unusual sightings

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

unusual sightings

Old 02-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default unusual sightings

Well, I've been to my trail camera every weekend since hunting season was over to keep check on my bucks to see when they loose their antlers. In the past, they have shed them around the second week in Feburary. I am anxious to start looking for sheds so I looked at a couple areas on my hunt I had stayed out of since season was over and I saw something very unusual. I found a lot, and I mean a whole lot of fresh tree rubs and some very big trees and high rubs as well. I have never seen this rubbing this late in the season, not even from when I raised whitetails a few years ago. These big rubs had to be made by a good size buck or bucks. My feelings on these rubs are, they are trying to hurry up the shed process as I don't think any of the young does are in heat now this late. But I could be wrong, but here in North Carolina it's unheard of. Is anyone else seeing any FRESH rubs now and if so, what do you make of them? I tell you guys the truth, It's got me bumfuzzled, and I though I knew a little about whitetails. LOL Don't we wish?!
BBO
Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: unusual sightings

when i think i know a good deal about whitetails....i hear of something like this. hehe. can't halp you bro.....no clue.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

Maybe it's Big Foot
Old 02-08-2007, 06:04 AM
Typical Buck

I found a fresh rub late last week, took my kid out looking for Coyotes and came across it, had him pose with his head against the tree just for a fun photo, when I got there there were fresh shavings on the snow..
In this area there are many rubs, but this was the only one that showed signs of new activity, it is on a trail that leads to a fallen tree the deer have been eating the ends off of.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Maybe a bear marking ?

Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Global warming. In a few years the rut will be in March.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

BBO: I'm using extreme caution here, lol, but since my gut feeling is this ones for real, lol down here in Arkansas they have the rut, the late rut, and according to some w/ alot more knowlege than mine, occasionally even a third rut in January/Feb. I'm guessing here, but maybe a hot doe or two is all it takes regardless of time.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Big~Bird

Global warming. In a few years the rut will be in March.
BB,the Deer Rut is different in all parts of the US, according to the Temperature drop. They will come into heat as the Temperature gets colder. No one knowsexactly atwhat temperature they come into Estrous Rut, but it's definitely notwarm weather!
Like Awshucks mentioned, they are goingto mate No Matter What, but mostly when the weather gets colder.

Old 02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

i think the rut is triggered by available sunlight that triggers a glandular response. a doe that is not bred during the primary rut will come into estrus a second or even a third time. deer are on the same lunar cycle as our wives are. i think awshucks is right. one floozie doe could have all the boys in a dither....hehe.[8D]
Old 02-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: shewe

i think the rut is triggered by available sunlight that triggers a glandular response.
Yes I also believe that!

Quick Reply: unusual sightings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.