Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Forum Behavior

Old 01-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Forum Behavior

I think this is a pretty cool post, I am assuming by competition you mean the space taken up by a hunter, not the weapon.

ORIGINAL: Leafrivermac

Poachers will use asny weapon to poach with and the only consideration of choice . . .if indeed there is any consideration is "will using this particular weapon get me caught"? I'm not a crossbow hunter and prolly never will be because at least for right now it just does'nt appeal to me. However if I were a poacher , I don't think a crossbow would be my choice for several reasons including trying to shoot the thing out of a window, possibly having to track him at night in an area that most likely I'm not supposed to be.
From what I've seen most poachers will use a shotgun or rifle late at night, way of out in the boondocks, and hope for the best. Plus, it's mighty popular to hunt the moon with a high powered rifle with a good light gathering scope.

Basically, to be honest the biggest reason most bow hunters IMO speak out against the crossbow is because it represents more competition in the woods in an otherwise low competition season. I know that if it came down to a vote on my part in my state, that would be the only incentive I would have to vote against their use. . . .but it won't, and I don't let it bother me.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Leafrivermac

Poachers will use asny weapon to poach with and the only consideration of choice . . .if indeed there is any consideration is "will using this particular weapon get me caught"? I'm not a crossbow hunter and prolly never will be because at least for right now it just does'nt appeal to me. However if I were a poacher , I don't think a crossbow would be my choice for several reasons including trying to shoot the thing out of a window, possibly having to track him at night in an area that most likely I'm not supposed to be.
From what I've seen most poachers will use a shotgun or rifle late at night, way of out in the boondocks, and hope for the best. Plus, it's mighty popular to hunt the moon with a high powered rifle with a good light gathering scope.

Basically, to be honest the biggest reason most bow hunters IMO speak out against the crossbow is because it represents more competition in the woods in an otherwise low competition season. I know that if it came down to a vote on my part in my state, that would be the only incentive I would have to vote against their use. . . .but it won't, and I don't let it bother me.
your right on reason on crossbow being disliked by recurve and compound hunters..i used to have area to my self,now in came the compound hunters that could not learn to shoot a recurvebow, compound was MUCH easier to shoot..so, more hunters

NOW in comes the crossbow, disabled, ones that dont have time,ones that could never shoot a bow recurve or compound..

this put MANY hunters in woods when us recurve hunters had place all to ourselves..

this is why i get HATE looks when i shoot in a crossbow at our club..they look at you like you are on welfare, low life,lazy dirt bag..

be in all reality, that look is THIS.. its look of , THERE GOES ANOTHER HUNTER IN MY AREA THAT STANDS AS GOOD AS CHANCE AS ME TO GET THAT DEER..

i blame DCNR and PGC ..they reduced deer to these levels where you have many hunters after a few deer..

i even got threaten in my hunting area i was in for 42 years..i was told to leave, they were there first..i got news for them, no one is chasing me away after hunting in that area for 42 years..

i dont chase anyone away and no problem with anyone hunting there..

its not CROSSBOW THAT IS HATED ,ITS MORE COMPETITION IN WOODS FOR DEER THAT ARE LEFT..

i dont see it getting any better soon..head of PGC slipped of his tongue and said,MAYBE IN 20 YEARS WE WILL THINK ABOUT BRINGING DEER BACK TO PA..
Old 01-27-2007, 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: sproulman

its not CROSSBOW THAT IS HATED ,ITS MORE COMPETITION IN WOODS FOR DEER THAT ARE LEFT..

i dont see it getting any better soon..head of PGC slipped of his tongue and said,MAYBE IN 20 YEARS WE WILL THINK ABOUT BRINGING DEER BACK TO PA..
You Make it sound like there is not many deer in PA?!? I looked on there website and they said that on state forested land there data showed 10 to 20 deer per square mile! Here in Ohio if I had that many deer in my area I would be in heaven! How many deer do you need to think it is OK? And more CB competition does not mean less deer. You people need to pull your head out of the sand and look at Ohio's proof since there deer numbers only continue to rise. Someone who started this post said you need to post with facts, well open your eyes all and look at Ohio's facts and you will see the crossbow does not equal less deer. There isonly one group of people that should fear the CB and that is the people that decide to invest money into stopping them from being used, and not investing money into making them since that is the new tool that more people will be buying.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:24 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Sproule, give it a break for the weekend will ya? I know you can't help it, your great, great grandma married a troll and once in a while the gene pops up! LOL!
Stop having so much fun!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very well said,copied it and hung it on the wall by my puter,thanks!