Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Lets talk about binoculars >

Lets talk about binoculars

Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Lets talk about binoculars

Old 01-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default Lets talk about binoculars

Ok guys, what binoculars do you use? If you look at my product test thread you'll see what I use.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets talk about binoculars

I got a cheap pair of 8x32 Bausch and Lombs, Don't use binocs much, they smear my glasses. I have a spotting scope that's about wore out though, lol.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I always seem to have a small pair with me, I used to have a big pair of Nikon's, but found them too cumbersome for most tasks.
I have lots of them but my favorite right now is a small camo colored pair of Bushnell 10X25. I'm not sure I would call them good binocs but I have spent so much time looking through them that they have become second nature.
If I somehow forget them, I find cupping my hands and looking through them works well to, sometimes a bit blurry though.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

I`m using a small set of BushNells with a built in camera..
Old 01-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: htoler

I`m using a small set of BushNells with a built in camera..
Really???
Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I got a cheap pair of 8x32 Bausch and Lombs, Don't use binocs much, they smear my glasses. I have a spotting scope that's about wore out though, lol.
B&L uses good glass. Optics are really important. A stalk on a deer or moose can last hours and you don't want to be wasting that time on an animal that isn't worth a few hours of a precious holiday. I guess the low end stuff is ok but if you are hunting then you need to spend as much money as possible on optics.
I had a set of 10X28 B&L discoverers and they were better than my buddy's Leupolds. I gave them to a good friend when I could afford better binos. The optics like henry has just doesn't cut if for me for hunting. In my opinion and experience you need two sets. One to find an animal and one to put a stalk on with. The ones for finding is where you spend the bigger dollars for better glass.
I'm not kidding about seeing a beard on a turkey over a mile away or seeing that a whitetail has enough points to spend a painfull two hours on.
Its hard to appreciate just how much better good optics are. Resolution is really important as is seeing a long way away in low light.

Edit: my Swarovski mini binos have to be focused like most but only because they don't make the othe type.
Hey.... what are those types of binoculars called when you just focus once?
Old 01-10-2007, 08:50 PM

I just have a cheap pare of Bushnell's from wal-mart. Nothing special!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Typical Buck

I have used an old pair of Bushnell 7X35's instafocus which they didn't make but a couple of years but they are just the right size for me and light weight also. I like the instafocus part on them and you don't find that on a pair anymore. It works great and I don't understand why it's not used today. I would like a better pair but can't find any that I like better than these.
BBO
Old 01-10-2007, 09:13 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Buddy, the type you talk about relies on your eyes and brain to do the focusing. Its a bit hard on the eyes but easier with better more expensive glass. All of my Steiners (7X50, 10X50, 12X52) are that type. Just focus once and off you go. These types are not great for bird watchers who look at birds in great detail for long periods of time. What is really great about the focus once type of binocular is when you are scouting late and there is barely any light and you don't have to fiddle trying to focus, they are bang on when you put the binos to your eye.
I ued to find it hard to pick out binoculars. The first set took me over a year to decide on. I had a real problem shelling out big money but once I did, I was really happy.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

No, what my instafocus is, it's a tilt type plate where the focus wheel usually is and you just tilt it left or right to fucus. It's really quick. I haven't seen it on any other brands and like I said, bushnell don't make this type of fucus any longer at least not that I have seen.
BBO

Quick Reply: Lets talk about binoculars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.