HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Lets talk about binoculars
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2007, 08:39 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lets talk about binoculars

ORIGINAL: awshucks

I got a cheap pair of 8x32 Bausch and Lombs, Don't use binocs much, they smear my glasses. I have a spotting scope that's about wore out though, lol.
B&L uses good glass. Optics are really important. A stalk on a deer or moose can last hours and you don't want to be wasting that time on an animal that isn't worth a few hours of a precious holiday. I guess the low end stuff is ok but if you are hunting then you need to spend as much money as possible on optics.
I had a set of 10X28 B&L discoverers and they were better than my buddy's Leupolds. I gave them to a good friend when I could afford better binos. The optics like henry has just doesn't cut if for me for hunting. In my opinion and experience you need two sets. One to find an animal and one to put a stalk on with. The ones for finding is where you spend the bigger dollars for better glass.
I'm not kidding about seeing a beard on a turkey over a mile away or seeing that a whitetail has enough points to spend a painfull two hours on.
Its hard to appreciate just how much better good optics are. Resolution is really important as is seeing a long way away in low light.

Edit: my Swarovski mini binos have to be focused like most but only because they don't make the othe type.
Hey.... what are those types of binoculars called when you just focus once?