Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

EXOCET 200

Old 12-09-2006, 03:04 PM

Default EXOCET 200

I have purchased an Exocet 200 as my first crossbow, yeah I jumped in with both feet. I would like to quiet the whack on firing. Any suggestions as far as using archery string silancers and their effect on noise and performance? What about some felt under the string on the bow? Additionally, Excalibur recommends a flat "notch". Has anyone had any bad experiances with the half moon? TNX and hello
Old 12-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: EXOCET 200

Today I picked up some felt pads, probably similar to what you are talking about, they didn't make it whisper quiet, can't even say it made a noticeable difference, however, they look pretty cool.
First crossbow is an Exocet 200? Rookie, I have had mine two days.Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anything you guys put on your string will do three things, lol. [1] cost you some fps [2]change your pont of impact [3] fly off sooner or later. At the risk of sounding like a smart arse, the only thing you can do is buy a set of ear plugs. I'm sure some of the other xbowers will tell you pretty much the same thing. The deer are dying when they hear it, if you do your part right. Both your bows come w/ dissapator pads, that's what Excal came up w/ to quiet them, if there was more available they would provide it.

As to the moon nocks, you can use them, or grind the ends flat. If you do use them and position an arrow wrong you will get either a total or partial dry-fire and it's inherent thrills. I've ground a bunch of them flat for other friends, but was a machinist for quite a spell. Have fun!! Congrats on some great bows too, btw.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:39 PM
Typical Buck

gratz you picked a great bow. ah the ranks of excals grows.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the fine CB you got, they be down right good!
Old 12-09-2006, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

crossbows are noisy by nature of design if the noise bothers you Dan gave the best advice earplugs you can take some of the matallic twang out of it when it fires by putting some heat shrinking tape on the retaining spring , other that that best advice I have is shoot it till you get used to it, you will never get it quiet enough that the deer wont hear it..
Old 12-10-2006, 07:11 AM

TNX for the advice. No, its not something I would need earplugs for. I just thought I might be able to quiet it abit. I agree, if the shot is close, the deer has other problems besides the noise. I did try to use some rubber whiskers to silence it. They did bring down the noise abit but only lasted two shots! I like the bow and it will allow me to get into a bow area on a military base where there are only a handful of bowhunters. I don't think I'll be able to use it this deer season. Thank goodness it starts in Aug again. Maybe a hog hunt as they are game all year long. I thought the same thing are far as moon nocks go. A local store got a bunch of arrows from other dealers and they are just sitting there. They don't even sell x-bows. So if they go on sale I could get some xx75's cheap, I hope. TNX again.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I've tried a few things and the "best" noise reduction I've found is to serve cat whiskers on the string about 8" from the limb tips. Buy one set and cut them in half so they are half the lenght and serve them on. They are really light and cheap. If you serve them on the string they work better and they won't fly off as you've found.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:07 PM

I'll try that next time. TNX