Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 New Barnett 400 String Broke today >

New Barnett 400 String Broke today

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

New Barnett 400 String Broke today

Old 11-25-2006, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default New Barnett 400 String Broke today

I have only shot this new Barnett quad 400 about 15 times. This is the one that took part of my friends thumb off a couple of weeks ago. Every thing seemed to be fine with it and it was hitting a very tight group at 30 yards. This evenings hunt I went to shoot and when I pulled the trigger, the string broke and the arrow went who knows where. Holy cow, I can't believe this. And brand new cross bow. I will be taking it back and either exchanging it or getting my money back.

If I get my money back, what crossbow has the highest quality? It doesn't have to be the fastest, but if I am going to get my money back and get another brand, I want to go all out and go for quality this time.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:11 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Barnett 400 String Broke today

Ok, three guess and the first two don't count. There really is only one that wouldn't leave you high a dry like this one did. Now here's your other choice. Get two wheel bows then if one cashes it in then there's your back up. I, like quite a few others that use compounds have back up bows. The choice that I made in xbows can still break limbs but thats usually after dry-firing. I think if you want the best commercially made wheel xbow then get a ten point. If you want to get the best quality bow with the ability to change a string where ever and when ever you want the choice is clear. If I use my compound I always bring a crossbow in the truck. If I take my crossbow I just bring another string.
I'm still not saying it! LOL!
Old 11-26-2006, 06:47 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Dnk

Ok, three guess and the first two don't count. There really is only one that wouldn't leave you high a dry like this one did. Now here's your other choice. Get two wheel bows then if one cashes it in then there's your back up. I, like quite a few others that use compounds have back up bows. The choice that I made in xbows can still break limbs but thats usually after dry-firing. I think if you want the best commercially made wheel xbow then get a ten point. If you want to get the best quality bow with the ability to change a string where ever and when ever you want the choice is clear. If I use my compound I always bring a crossbow in the truck. If I take my crossbow I just bring another string.
I'm still not saying it! LOL!

[/align]

Old 11-26-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Two wheel or not two wheel, that is the question! I prefer not two wheel, but have one of three, lol. Get an Excal or a 10 pt, but first you must answer the question!! Good luck!!
Old 11-26-2006, 09:46 AM

If the nock is not seated against the string something like a dry fire can take place. If this happens the string will usually break. My Barnett 400 caused me all kinds of grief when i first got it. Barnetts require more string and cable waxing than other crossbows.Barnett 400s are accurate and very powerful. Have killed several pigs and deer with mine.

Old 11-26-2006, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: atcfisherman

If I get my money back, what crossbow has the highest quality? It doesn't have to be the fastest, but if I am going to get my money back and get another brand, I want to go all out and go for quality this time.
If you want to stay with a compound Style then I would buy a Horton, but make sure it has the machined aluminum barrel and not the composite one. Seems like the problems start with the composite ones but the machined aluminum's are in my opinion top notch. The bug that is biting me lately is the independent one. You like me probably do not have a bow press so you have to wait and go to a shop and then you are at the mercy of the owners to do you right. If you get a Excal then you can be own your own. All you need is extra strings and the changer that comes with the bows and you can do all your won work from home. You have been on here posting for a while now and have read all the guys post about the Phoenix's and Exocet so those would be my choices.
Old 11-26-2006, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

well if you get your money back and decide to get a different brand of bow you have a choice, one thing to think about one crossbow brand is easy to maintain but heres my thoughts on strings breaking I dont care what type bow you shoot I think if your string breaks when you are aiming at a deer or whatever animal it dosent matter if you can change your string yourself or not your nervs will prolly be so frazzled that your hunt for the day is over.. I have one of each a wheeled bow and a recurve , I have had to change three strings on my recurve at 10 bucks a string I have had to have the string on my wheeled bow reserved once at 10 bucks, and I shoot the wheeled bow a lot more than the recurve I just like it better but thats just me.. the most important thing is that you are happy with and comfortable with whichever crossbow you get next, dosent matter which brand as long as you are happy with it..
Old 11-26-2006, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

all good advice. when i was looking to buy an x bow....it came down to two makes.....wheel or no wheel.....10 point or excal for me.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

i would'nt give up on any bow just cause a string broke....any bow can break down. unless it becomes a recurring problem that would'nt make me change.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:09 PM

ORIGINAL: htoler

I have had to change three strings on my recurve at 10 bucks a string I have had to have the string on my wheeled bow reserved once at 10 bucks, and I shoot the wheeled bow a lot more than the recurve
Did you wear out three strings on the Excal or was that from when you were trying out the different ones that Excal offers to see which one you liked the best? Just curious...

Quick Reply: New Barnett 400 String Broke today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.