Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 What brand of crossbow >

What brand of crossbow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What brand of crossbow

Old 11-24-2006, 10:26 PM

Default What brand of crossbow

I need some help here. My dad is in a paralized from the chest down and can't draw a compound bow. He desperately wants to take another whitetail with a bow. He got so excited after I took another nice whitetail this year that he can't stand it. My sister and I would like to get him a crossbow for Christmas and don't have a clue what we should buy. Can you guys please give me some feedback? We don't have alot of money too spend but would like to get something decent. Probably around $400.00 tops. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What brand of crossbow

There is no other, Excalibur phoenix!!! It sells for perty darn near 400 dollars and is an awesome bow. I'm dreaming about getting one. Several members have them. I'm currently shooting a horton but excalibur is the only way to fly. I'll try to find some info on it for ya, The best place to buy one is off of dan miller, Several people on the forums have his phone number.

http://excaliburcrossbow.com/demo/listings.php?category_id=40
Old 11-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Typical Buck

we could use some more information , granted an Excalibur is a great crossbow it may not be the right choice for your Dad, what can and cant your Dad do?? is he going to be able to cock the crossbow by himself ? or is he going to need a crank style cocking aid? is he going to be able to hold the crossbow or is he going to need assistance? theres a lot of things that can factor into which might be the right choice for your Dad.. you will get a lot of good info from the guys here on this forum..
Old 11-25-2006, 08:19 AM

I guessI did leave some info out.I don't know if he willbe able to cock it himself. I will be with him in the blind and probably do this for him. I'm assuming he will be able to hold it himself. He still turkey hunts and holds his Remington 11-87 Turkey gun himself. I'm assuming a crossbow wouldn't be any heavier. Just let me know what else you may need to know. Thanks again.

Greg.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

ok if you are going to be with him, and will probably cock the crossbow for him , then you will not be so limited by choice but more by preference , depending on the type of blind he will be hunting out of and its size if the blind is bigh enough to accomidate the limb width then it will be more of your fathers preference as to which he like best and is in your pricerange, would be nice if you had a bigger budget to work with, you might if you can find a proshop close that carries a few brands take your father there and let him look hold and if possible shoot some and see what he likes..
Old 11-25-2006, 09:25 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

There's nothing more irritating than a bad trigger. An Excaliber Vixen is light and has one of the best triggers. Next year you can have an accudraw installed on the bow and he'll feel more independant or not install it and hunt with you all the time. Donno how much a Vixen is there but the bow, some arrows and broadheads have got to be close.
I think for your dad you won't need the durability of a Vixen so another bow should suffice. Other than the obvious weight ask him how he likes the trigger. The quality of most bows will be good for just hunting. You don't need an Excaliber unless he becomes an arrow junkie like The Squirrel, Dan or myself. We (and others I am sure) shoot hundredn and hundred of arrows a year. Us Excal owners just replace strings once in a while while the other will need some maintenance from time to time. If you are just hunting with the bow and practicing just for hunting you won't need maintenace for quite a few years. That being said, check them all out!
Hope this helps.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of good tips so far. Btw welcome to the forum. A Vixen at $275 off of ebay bowhuntersuperstore is hard to beat. Nice and light, although a tad wider than the wheel bows like Htoler pointed out. A rope cocker may suffice as it cuts the effort to cock in half and guarantees top accuracy by centering the string each shot. The stock peep sight sighted in at 25 yds will have him ok for dbl lung shots from 20 to 30, imho. I'd suggest Slick Trick b-heads, cause I know what they will do, for a first try. Good luck to both of ya!!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:01 AM

Thanks guys. He will be hunting out of a Double Bull blind so no worries there. I will start checking them out.

Greg.