Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Slicks Part II

Old 10-21-2006, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Slicks Part II

I made a post awhile back about how you got to fiddle a little even w/ Slicks to get the alignment right. I had just got done using the loaner ASD Dnk has floating around the xbow forum members and what I neglected to tell ya'll is I launched one of my coveted wrapped hunting arrows and a brand new Slick into the ozone at 30 yds due to run out. Well, needless to say that really whizzed me off, so I got ahold of mybuddies defunct arrow straightener for alums and after I fixed the dial indicator, I moved it so I could run b-heads under it. My, My, did I get a lesson here! I had as much as .012" run out in some I thought were perfect. I got all 8 of my hunting arrows under .004 by fooling w/ washers and retightening them. Got some pics if anybody wants to play w/ their arrow straigtener, I had to redrill this one to get the ind. where it is.

Old 10-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slicks Part II

Here's another pic of the ind. up closer, I actually got 5 of the 8 under .002". If anyone knows how to put two pics in one post, I'd like to hear it, lol.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:51 PM

Can you explain run out.

Also, can we do that washer trick with any broadhead. I would think so. If anyone already knows the best washer size, please share!
Old 10-21-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Redtail565

Can you explain run out.

Also, can we do that washer trick with any broadhead. I would think so. If anyone already knows the best washer size, please share!
Runout = wobble when you spin the arrow. I think most replaceable blade b-heads come w/ washers. i doubt very much that you could go to a hdwe store and buy the right size, as these appear to be machined.

Randy, aka 10 pt can take an arrow between his palms and spin that sucker like a top for a loonnnggg time! While it's spinning you eyeball the head to see if there's any wobble. You don't need to go to the lengths I do on anything, lol, I'm anal retentive on stuff like this. If I can't get my rifles to one hole at 100 yds, they go to the next gun show and I fall in love w/ something else.