Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Red Dot or Scope >

Red Dot or Scope

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Red Dot or Scope

Old 10-12-2006, 08:27 PM

Default RE: Red Dot or Scope

Well, the jury is still out. I stopped by Gander Mountain on my way home tonight, but they didn’t have crap… Oh why do I even go there.

I’m really thinking of trying a scope and I’m thinking I will go for the vari-zone.

What is the eye relief of the Vari-Zone?

I did get a 6 pack of Horton Carbon arrows. Lost 2 of them already with the issues I had the other day.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:20 PM

ORIGINAL: Redtail565

What is the eye relief of the Vari-Zone?

I did get a 6 pack of Horton Carbon arrows. Lost 2 of them already with the issues I had the other day.
Well that is something I am glad you asked cause I have been wanting to ask Dan about it for a while now. When I put my vzone on I had to put it as far forward as I could and sometime I still feel like I am moving back a little. I mean its not bad cause that means I will never have the ring around the eye that some people get from getting to close, but am surprised that the vzone has a long eye relief. Is it just me or all they all like that?

And how did the new arrows shoot?
Old 10-12-2006, 11:27 PM

Smokepole - I bought a Barnett . I don't like the trigger or the size as much as I liked the Horton but the materials that it's made out of are an improvment (aluminum stock , at least where it matters ). And the Dial-A-Range was sloppy . Sloppy to the point that it would be easier to "hold over" . For what it's worth , my cross-bow doesn't join me on a whole lot of outings . But I do try and shoot it once a week .
Old 10-13-2006, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dogslayer

I sold my Horton because of the "Dail-A-Range" .

Old 10-13-2006, 11:05 AM

Oh, I took the plunge! I ordered the Vari-zone from Bowhunterssuperstore.com. I hope I like it, because their return policy is limited, but they are $40 cheaper than Cabelas or the local pro shop. I ordered a new rail and rings and even with shipping it was only $125.

The arrows were shooting good. Actually even the Easton carbons were shooting well. Good enough that I smacked them together. I guy at the range asked if I just put on a new string. I had, he said that his crossbow always shot inconsistent until the new string stretched a little. I now have some 50-75 shots (maybe more) out of it.
Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Move, I think you will be real happy w/ it, I got three and if you have any problems w/ it, pm me and I'll help if I can. It's really important to get the horz xhair level w/ limbs level, hard to sight in otherwise. I hang a plumb bob at 20 yds and use a level on the rail on sand bags. Then align vert hair to string while eye-balling the level. Btw: The eye relief is normal on mine, any problems w/ same may be due to mount design.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:28 PM

Thanks Awshucks and everyone who has helped out! I'm very excited to try this out. When it comes in.

Just for fun I put a leupold VX111 on it and it was too close to my eye. The stock on the CB is really short. I don't know how they compare to the excaliburs?

Of course with all the excalibur touting going on here, you guys are like to get me thinking of a new bow soon. Not this year!
Old 10-14-2006, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

After checking on the Red dot and the scope am staying with the scope for now!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:04 PM

Well the scope finally came in today. They had a little issue with filling the order. They said they would give me credit for shipping, but so far no credit on my account. They were very nice though and I will order from them again.

Anyway, I got it installed and sited in at 10 yards. Farthest I can shoot in my basement. I will get to the range tomorrow or Saturday. I can’t wait to see how it shoots at longer ranges!

The eye relief is a little too long for my bow. I have it as far as possible, but still need to hold my head back. I wonder if I can get a gun stock butt pad or extender. Any suggestions?? Having all the layers on when hunting will help. It’s workable and with zero kick I can move my head around and not worry about getting hit with the scope.

Fun, I have the dial-a-range setting at 2 and shot aiming with the crosshairs. I sited it in a few inches high. Then when I moved the dial-a-range to 1 it hits the same as leaving the dial a range on two and aiming with the top notch.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:43 PM

Well the scope is broken. Not sure if it was due to bad packaging when it was shipped to me or what... There is a piece of something in there and twice while shooting tonight it was blocking my view. Then when I pointed the scope toward the ground and back up it disapeared.

Not sure what to do. Hopefully they will be helpful whenI call them tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Red Dot or Scope

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.