Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

ARROW QUESTION

Old 09-27-2006, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default ARROW QUESTION

after sighting in about 3 crossbows for friends,i noticed that on the horton ones the finish is coming of 1 side of arrow.i noticed that area where the arrow sits near the latch that holds string was real shiny down in the side of groove.it seems arrow is rubbing this area for about 5 inchs or so,about length of vanes.i always place arrows in rail groove same way each shot,like vanes are 2 orange and 1 red.i always put red down in rail.the scratch is always near the left side of the red vane lenght of vane.is this normal to have scratch in this area on arrows.thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 10:15 PM

Default RE: ARROW QUESTION

Well I know that if they are not that old they should have the Micro flight barrell on them. The arrow only sits in the grove in the cocked position and then as it is shot the arrow is lifted up out of the barrel. I have never dust tested my barrell to see how quickly the arrow is picked up but five inches may sound right. So this should explain the shiny spot. Your arrow that has the finish coming off could also be from the grove cut in the barrell. If you look at the grove in the barrell at the very end it should get a little narrower. This is the micro flight barrell if youor your friends have it. I seen once were the grove was cut in the machine process that there was a small bur in the end were the narrow part is, on the metal causing a mark on my friends arrows. We just took a small ignition file and smoothed it off and all was well. But this only applies if you have the micro-flight barrell. I suppose it could be there on regular barrells too but not sure.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 PM

I would also have to add I enjoy your post sproul. Especially when you say listen to old sproul! Kinda reminds me of the wise old man at the end of the street kinda thing. Never sure he's 100% correct, but you always remember it somehow.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanks old buddy,ha..the arrow seems to be rubbing that area on left side where string attachs to the trigger thing down on the inside of rail groove...funny, right side is not shiny,so its not rubbing on right side only left. you right, this rail changes after those first 5 inchs,it gets a different design all way to end.to me,it seems as if arrow is pushing against the left side.left side is shiny from rubbing and scratch is on left side of the vane.