Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Leafy vs. non leafy camo >

Leafy vs. non leafy camo

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Leafy vs. non leafy camo

Old 09-27-2006, 12:09 PM

Default RE: Leafy vs. non leafy camo

they don't see colour ..... but likely have the highest constrasting eyesight available to animals .... so if UV does bounce off of the clothing you would stick out like a sore thumb .... especially in low light conditions were their eyesight is most helpful to them. Never really thought of UV treatment before though. Good heads up Rebel. Thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 12:43 PM
Dominant Buck

HuntingNet.com - Seen Through the Eyes of a Whitetail…You Could Be Glowin’!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:51 PM

Good post Rebel .... the issue is .... no one really knows for sure .... the people that are supposed to know have argued it for eons and the only ones that could really tell us don't talk (the deer .... and other animals with dichromatic vision) people that are colourblind cant discern between certain colours ... not that they look different to them .... i get the just of the article .... important to test your threads ..... I wish they have had a better representation of the camo patterns tested (ASAT vs. something someone might actually buy and actually stating that the the pattern on the left has already been treated with UV covering, uncertain if ASAT comes stock like that). All information is vital and pertinent, just believe what you will believe.Again, cudos for bringing this article to everyone's attention

check this link out for some interesting insight

http://www.mcw.edu/cellbio/colorvision/test1.htm
Old 09-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

interesting info folks, thanks.i am open to anything new that is out.only for 45 years i used no camo and no problems,but i never asked deer if they saw me..when you sit on rock in open area,in orangeand have 5 bucks walk by you years ago and no reaction from deer, you have to wonder..
Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

ORIGINAL: sproulman

deer cant see you on colors anyhow, so any camo works..movement is what they see no matter what you are wearing..
Don't agree! The dyes used on camo are UV enhanced. If you don't use a UV blocker on your camo, deer will spotyou in a second in low light. If you have any doubts, buy a Black Light, spread your camo on the bed, turn off all the lights and watch all the colors Glow in Florecent. Then try it agin after UV treatment.
I will have to side with reb on this one. I used to think that deer are color blind and yes they are but I seen on a discovery channel show once that talked about how deer and others see. Sure they dont see the rainbow like us, but since they need to see at dark they can see other things that we cant, Like UV. I bought a bib and coat set up and was spotted alot the first year I wore it. The fallowing summer was when I seen the show, bought some hunters UV soap at wal-mart and now I very rarly get seen. The only time I get spotted is when I am trying to move into position.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Right Jason, it's not the colors they see, but the Fluorescent Glow from the UV enhancers they use in the dyes to make them seem brighter and prettyer to the consumer.

Do most of you know what UV enhancers are?
Old 09-28-2006, 02:22 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kdub77

they don't see colour ..... but likely have the highest constrasting eyesight available to animals .... so if UV does bounce off of the clothing you would stick out like a sore thumb .... especially in low light conditions were their eyesight is most helpful to them. Never really thought of UV treatment before though. Good heads up Rebel. Thanks
Believe that if you like , but here's how they really see , and yes they can see certain colors:

Old 09-28-2006, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Right on Kev!

Dichromatic vision is how some colorblind humans and deer visually perceive the world during daylight. They see in various shades of yellow to brown and are particularly adept at seeing the color blue and its shades. In addition, whitetails can also see Ultraviolet or light in the color range that causes fluorescence or glow. This light is imperceptible to humans, but allows deer to see in what we perceive as darkness. Deer can run through the woods at night without running into trees because they see in the UV range. UV can cause fluorescent glow at several color points, but the critical color for hunters is between 430 & 460 nanometers….this is BLUE. The short blue glow is almost invisible to humans but corresponds with the peak of sensitivity of the white-tailed deer. Unlike humans, whitetails do not have a filter in their eyes to filter out UV light. They see the GLOW.

[align=center]
How the human eye views modern day camo patterns

The same camo through the eyes of a whitetail deer. Are you glowing?
[/align]
Old 09-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Thanks for that post Kevin. Thats what I was trying to remember when I made my post but could not. Its those ROD PHOTORECEPTORS that they have that the show I watched that talked about. They have alot more of them in certain areas of the eye and thats how they pic up on that stuff. Good pic, it should help alot understand. I thinkpeople are right about blue jeans and flanel shirts. Its like reb says when you go and by the fancy camo stuffthey put more uv into it to make it look good to us, but then it works in reverse to the deer.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

This thread is giving me a headache!

Quick Reply: Leafy vs. non leafy camo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.