Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

CB Sighted In!

Old 09-03-2006, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: CB Sighted In!

Jay: You've no doubt got more experience w/ this stuff than most of us combined and I do respect that. Had I "met" you before my beloved ST's it might be a different story, but I'm pretty well committed now, lol. I, fdor one, wasn't aware of those performances on your last post, good info, thanks!!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i have 6-7 paks of these old Bear Bruin Lites to use up before i can buy any new ones. Thats my Mrs. saying, use up yer inventory of those you bought back in 87. When you get a deer fer each B'Head you have, then i can get new ones. Looks like 3 brands are in the running. Rockets, Slick tricks and Montec G5 Tekans. Sure don't want to buy a bunch of each to see what my CB likes but thats life!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:40 AM

Dan,
I have never been against fixed blade, used Thunderheads for years. and I might say with good results..I can get a fixed blade broadhead to fly with a compound at speeds exceding 325fps, but it is usually time consuming with the tuning issues, and sometimes all the customer has to do is torque the grip and a problem arises....I was leary about the expandables when they first came out, they would send them to me and they would sit on the workbench forever...But as the bows got faster and tuning issues became more critical I tried them out...I found that some worked and some did not, so I stuck with the ones that I had the most confidence in..Because of this the fixed had to get better or loose their share of the market, because the expandables were taking over..This has lead to better designed fixed blade broadheads, and that is a good thing..But alot of customerscould be "broadhead poor", so I recommend a good expandable...And xbows have always been critical of fixed blade broadheads..And I have seen some of the most massive holes put in animals with the expandables that a fixed broadhead would never do.Wish I knew how to post a pic with all this fancy equipment I have, I could show you one you would never believe...
Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been sighted in for a month, i'll go back out and re-tighten all the nuts and bolts and check the sights one more time before i head afeild. You guys should stop fighting about who has the most penetration, who has the most ke, all that stuff. It doesnt matter if you have a broadhead on the tip of a 50 bmg round, or on the end of a stick. If you hit it correctly you wont have to worry about what kind of bhead you have. You should be confident enough in your shot that you can compinsate for the shot given to you at the present time.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:57 AM

Funny I did not think we were arguing, I thought this was a debate and info forum...When you get beyond 24 years experience in the Archery business, and have over 200 big game kills, with over 120 archery kills let me know, then maybe we can argue about something you know about...
Old 09-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Squkilla: this part of your post was right on the money: "If you hit it correctly you wont have to worry about what kind of bhead you have. You should be confident enough in your shot that you can compinsate for the shot given to you at the present time."

Did you ever see the Charley Brown cartoon where he and Linus asked the carpenter how they knew how high to build the house? The carpenter told them 1st thing ya do is count your nails! Linus then told Charley, "It's best to leave them old carpenters alone" lol

Jay: Give "the kid" a break, he's gotta wrassle his 79 yr old grandmother for a 200+ buck!! That's the truth!!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ain't saw no argument here in months, we be having conversations![&o][:-]
Old 09-03-2006, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

I don’t want to start an argument … but…

Jaygail you come off a little too head strong for my taste. Sharing your opinion is what this forum is all about. Sharing your experience is what this forum is about. Sharing what has worked for you and what hasn’t is what this forum is about.

How can anyone pat you on the back when your arms are in the way? I’ve read three of your post in the last two days and you talk like you’re the all mighty know it all and we should drool over your teachings. Personally I’m not impressed.

You mentioned tuning your bow to shoot field points is a waste of time. Guess what, we agree on something. I have never had to re-adjust my cross bow when shooting broadheads to match my field points. I shoot 100 grain field points which is what my bow is tuned for. I put a 100 grain slick trick in and bingo… I’m in the same hole.

As for the 12 year old that calls himself Squirrel: I would bet my house that he could match you step by step any day of the week.

Remember, being humble will get you farther then being obnoxious.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I value as many opinions as I can get and it does not matter what sharp broadhead you hit them with as long as you hit them right. Like Jay I use the Steelheads. I just wish I knew where he got extra bands for them. I don't think Jay knows it all, but he sure does know alot. Squirrel seems like a bright kid and I am willing to bet there is a ton he could learn from Jay. Just think, Jay has underwear as old as the Squirell is but "probably" not as badly stained. Some guys want to reload ammo to acheive 1" accuracy at 100 yards. I am happy shooting offhand rifle groups of five inches at 100 with factory ammo and have never even shot a deer that far away.Some guys want 350fps out of their bow, but like Smoke I think if I throw a log with a sharp broadhead thru their lungs I win the Game. This is not fighting or arguing, it is just a bit of trying to convince the other guy he is wrong and I for one am just having fun..>>>>>Whack!

Quick Reply: CB Sighted In!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.