Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Father In-Law Looking for X-Bow >

Father In-Law Looking for X-Bow

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Father In-Law Looking for X-Bow

Old 08-10-2006, 07:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Father In-Law Looking for X-Bow

My father in-law will be 65 next year and will be legal age to hunt with a x-bow next year. From thoes who have great knowldge and experience with them, what kinds do you recomend? Im sure hes not going to want to pay an arm and a leg for one but hes looking for one that will take a longer bolt than what most people use.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Father In-Law Looking for X-Bow

I know it's probably going to be too late, but I am working on a product review for 2 crossbows right now. Horton MFG and Excalibur Crossbowsare the two bows I am testing. One thing I noticed right off hand is that Horton offers apackage deal that comes with everything you need to start shooting out of the box.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2006, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ryan: So does Excalibur, it's called the "Right Stuff" package and can be had w/ or w/o their Varizone scope. I hope you have a chance to try one of those scopes, they are trully amazing. Alot of guys prefer to piece their Excalibur accessories together to get different weight arrows, broadheads, and bargain shop for the V-zone.

Wis bow huntr: As far as I know, the two common lengths for xbow arrows are 20" for all but Barnett, which uses 22" arrows. Do you know why he's looking for longer arrows?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wis bow huntr: As far as I know, the two common lengths for xbow arrows are 20" for all but Barnett, which uses 22" arrows. Do you know why he's looking for longer arrows?
Its a weight and stability thing. I have heard that some of the shorter bolts dont carry the KE as well as the longer bolts.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

CHOOSING A CROSSBOW

Picking out a crossbow is just like picking out any weapon you are going to hunt with. If you can, go to a proshop or sporting goods store that has a wide variety of crossbow to choose from. Then start picking them up and bringing them to your shoulder. Find one that feels "right"! Next step is to take it to the range and shoot it. When you finally do choose one and buy it, take it home and practice often. This part of the process will help you become one with your bow and that is extremely important.

Just about any crossbow that you buy from any of the major manufacturers will be a quality choice. They vary according to price, which is dictated by poundage, components and accessories, but start out with one that feels comfortable to you. The more natural it feels the more confident you will feel and the better you will shoot with it.

As far as poundage is concerned, ask your self this: "How far do I want to walk to pick up the arrow after it has passed through the deer?" A 150 pound bow will easily do that. I have found that the heavier draw weights, as with vertical bows, are less forgiving and lead to higher wear and tear on your equipment. And for those longer practice sessions, cocking 150 pounds will go a lot easier on the shooter than a 175 or 200 pounder.

Bottom line is: Find the crossbow that feels the most natural in your hands and that has good balance for YOU. It is an investment that will last for many years so it pays to take the time to choose the right one for YOU! Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:09 AM

DJH--- One of the best replies for good sound advice I have seen, you should copy that and just paste it anytime someone asks this question again.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

wis bow hntr: There is a difference in retained k.e. related to arrow length, but I believe the discussions I've read on it refers to the difference in arrows from crossbows as compared to verts. I'm an Excal fan, so my data is somewhat brand limited, but here ya go: Vixen 63 ft lbs, Phoenix 78-82 ft lbs, E'max 100 ft lbs. The later two are w/ "tamed down" string choices and a tad heavier arrows. All are w/ 20" arrows. Like DJH said, all are gonna give you pass-thru's. Any of the offerings from the major mfgrs are going to have similar results. Hope this helps ya some!