Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

What Bolts???

Old 06-03-2006, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What Bolts???

I have a Dz Easton bolts which I thinks weigh 400 gr. and they shoot fine. The Bolts that came in the Phoenix package seem lighter but shoot fine to. Any Preferences folks and why. Oh yeah while I am here. I am using the deck and string wax on the stringand serving only and was wondering if I should lube the deck with the wax or even Hortons rail lube. Flemished or Fast flight strings??
Old 06-03-2006, 06:12 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Bolts???

Hey Planter, use what the mfgr suggests for deck and string. Some guys use bee's wax on their Excals. As far as the bolts go, I use aluninum but just bought some carbons this year after more than a decade. I use carbons on my compound because I have on occasion bent aluninum shafts when pulling them out of foam targets. I have yet to bent my xbow shafts buy pulling them out of targets. I still do not trust carbons completely. I am paranoid of carbons coming apart on the shot esp after seeing a pic of what happened to one guys hand when a carbon shaft did come apart. PM me if you want to see the pics. It enough to make you check them every time you shoot them. I check carbons for cracks before every shooting session or if the arrows look lilke they may have made contact with each other and all of them every five shots or so. Check out the thread called "Got a legend XT175 need some help", looks like deerslayer had a carbon come apart. Kinda scarey, could have been worse. I wonder if he was wearing glasses???? I like using the dacron flemish string because its easy on the limbs and a bit quieter.

Old 06-03-2006, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Dnk if they come apart you can get replacements! I had 1 break on the shot with the Exomax but it may not have been fully in place. Other than that they have held up pretty good. I wish they had an ACC type bolt. I shot ACC's with my compound for many years without any problems at all. I have some Easton Power Bolts to try. If they're as good as the ACC's carbon part is they should stay together just fine.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot carbons out of all my bows. Alluminium arrows are just to fragile. A bump a bang and a ding and you have to throw them out. I went with the over the counter Easton carbon bolts over the alluminium without a second thought. Same price too. I shoot alot of arrows with judo points at plastic bottles sprinkled over the back yard andthe carbons last for that kind of shooting. Its great practice too..
Old 06-04-2006, 07:24 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot Easton XX75 shafts exclusively , usually in 20" length . I don't trust carbons , probably never will .