Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

hunting equiptment

Old 05-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default hunting equiptment

OK, I got a question. Deer grunt calls are a part of our hunting equiptment, right? And since this forum is about crossbows, it would also be about the hunting equiptment we use with our crosswbows, sooo, the question is: Is a grunt call DVD useful in learning the grunt while hunting? Someone has to teach one the techinue. I've never called in a buck while grunting and had no one show me anything about it. I was thinking a DVD on the subject would be wholesome. Am I wrong? Teach me something today.
BBO
Old 05-31-2006, 04:15 AM

Default RE: hunting equiptment

If you have no one to teach you in the feild then I would say a DVD may be a good choice for you, but I would try and get one from a good source. I personally have never grunted and knew that the grunt was the reason the deer came in. I often grunt when I rattle. The one thing that I think works great and can put several that I have taged to is the bleat cans. They work great! I have had several deer (mainly bucks) walking away from my direction only to hit the can and stop them and have them turn around and come right it, I have never done that with a grunt call. Also I think if ones not careful you can run calling into the ground and have a reverse effect. I try not to call, weather it be call or rattle no more then once every 30-45 minuets. Deer are wise and they can pattern your calls if your not carefull.

Old 05-31-2006, 06:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I've called many deer in with some simple grunt calls ,haven't had much luck with bleats .I think the DVD is a good idea since you apparently don't currently haveaccess to an experienced mentor locally . A posting for a mentor in either the South or Off Season forums will probably net you one , there's a whole lotta NC folks on these boards . Having a method of proper use displayed for you to learn from will ensure that you'll be doing it right in the field .
Old 05-31-2006, 08:02 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I have never called in a deer with a grunt call only. I have called does and bucks in by rattling and a grunt tube. I just listened to a tape that came with the tube.
Don
Old 06-02-2006, 09:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have brought them in using a grunt call, plus called them in using rattling antlers. Both separately and together.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Hotburn76

If you have no one to teach you in the feild then I would say a DVD may be a good choice for you, but I would try and get one from a good source. I personally have never grunted and knew that the grunt was the reason the deer came in. I often grunt when I rattle. The one thing that I think works great and can put several that I have taged to is the bleat cans. They work great! I have had several deer (mainly bucks) walking away from my direction only to hit the can and stop them and have them turn around and come right it, I have never done that with a grunt call. Also I think if ones not careful you can run calling into the ground and have a reverse effect. I try not to call, weather it be call or rattle no more then once every 30-45 minuets. Deer are wise and they can pattern your calls if your not carefull.

I couldn't have said it better myself.....also I know there are some websites out there that teach you how to grunt and bleat etc....and you can get an idea of what they sound like also
Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

The chart above, "Calling by the Rut Phase," illustrates the general effectiveness of a wide variety of calls and should make choosing the right call much simpler.