Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Need Help With Bow Choice >

Need Help With Bow Choice

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Need Help With Bow Choice

Old 05-06-2006, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need Help With Bow Choice

What a bunch o' whiners! "Crossbow A is a few inches wider than Crossbow B and that makes it harder tocarry through the woods."

Obviously, none of you have spent much time toting a 72" longbow through the brush. If you want an experience, try THAT. A crossbow is maneuverable as a pocket pistol in comparison.

Since my shoulder pooped out, I started looking around to upgradethe ol' Barnett Wildcat I've been playing around with for some years now. After looking at the prices and making all the comparisons, I think I'm gonna go with the Excalibur Vixen or Phoenix, once I get a couple ofcompounds sold off.

In the meantime, I'm making my own... If that #$%! prod ever gets here from Alchem! [&:]
Old 05-06-2006, 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

What a bunch o' whiners! "Crossbow A is a few inches wider than Crossbow B and that makes it harder tocarry through the woods."

Obviously, none of you have spent much time toting a 72" longbow through the brush. If you want an experience, try THAT. A crossbow is maneuverable as a pocket pistol in comparison.
Well as for "whiners" you seem to do enough of that when you refer to you longbow! You have had threads locked in this CB forum befor try not to ruin this one and keep your better than all longbow opinions to yourself!

Old 05-06-2006, 10:56 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

and here I was trying not to say anything!
Anyone reading the post in question should take note that if you stalk your game through brush should think really hard about getting a compound xbow. The limbs of my Excal do get hung up on brush and if it is turned so that the limbs are verticle the arrow could fall out of place or pushed out of place causing an unsafe condition. Not to mention that if the limbs contact something solid like a branch the bow will get fired back at you. The width of my Excals is an issue but not a problem. If I did a lot of spot and stalk I would have a compound. The benifits of the recurve limb system is not worth the hassle when trying to glide through the bush.
Good for you Jason for being the first to say something but lets ignore this and the thread won't get locked. That is how other forums deal with this even though its hard to do.
Old 05-06-2006, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

DNK,
If you had a TenPoint, you would not have to worry about dry firing the bow. All TenPoints come with a dry fire inhibitor.

Hotburn,
If you are shooting 5 inch groups with a Titan at 20 yards, call us and we will get you squared away. You should be shooting nearly same hoole groups at 20 yards.

Randy
Old 05-06-2006, 11:53 AM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 10ptCrossbow

DNK,
If you had a TenPoint, you would not have to worry about dry firing the bow. All TenPoints come with a dry fire inhibitor.

Hotburn,
If you are shooting 5 inch groups with a Titan at 20 yards, call us and we will get you squared away. You should be shooting nearly same hoole groups at 20 yards.

Randy
Randy, is the system sensitive enough that it would prevent a miss/dryfire is the arrow was not in quite right if lets say a branch disturbed it or got stuck under the bolt? I was trying to say that the compounds like Ten Points are better suited to stalking through the bush/brush etc. Yes a dryfire inhibitor would be a great idea my bow but it won't happen again! I know, famous last words.
Don
Old 05-06-2006, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

10 Pointers: How do you uncock your bow w/ inhibitor?? How do you change a string?
Old 05-06-2006, 05:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

My fault, guys. I thought you knew what those smiley faces meant.Don't worry. I won't darken the door of this forum again.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Arthur P: I caught the dry humor, stick around. I'd like to see what you think of the Excals. Thought ya'll used them longer bows for target and the shorter recurves for hunting? I got a bum shoulder too, plus I started shooting a vert right handed, but am left eye dominant, so sights were uncomfortable for me. I'm interested in your home-made rig, got any pics?
Old 05-06-2006, 09:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: awshucks

10 Pointers: How do you uncock your bow w/ inhibitor?? How do you change a string?
Aw,
You shoot an arrow. That is the best safest way. you can uncock them by hand, but you are asking for trouble, regardless of the bow company. You put it in a press every couple of years and change the string. I know, here comes Excals famous line..."You can change our string in the field."
That is of course, if you have packed an extra string, and the cocking rope, and oh yeah, lets resight too.
How many times have you had to change a string in the field?
Randy
Old 05-07-2006, 12:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was just curious, not trying to be a smart a$$. I haven't "had" to change any strings in the field, but as clumsy as I am I figure it's just a matter of time before I run a b-head against a string. I've got 4 different strings that I've been experimenting w/ on two bows. I've never changed a string on a compound, so don't know what's involved. I am probably not your average user, I got to tinker with stuff and see what makes a difference and what don't. I never thought of any of these discussion points before I got my xbow. And firing an arrow is not my preferred way of uncocking my xbows, I have to carry a target because of all the rocks here, which is cool w/ pickup, but real un-handy w/ atv. That was my biggest complaint w/ the Emax. I have to drive 80 miles for a six pack of real beer! And, I wish you could see what's near me for a "bow" shop. And one last thing. If you change a string on a recurve crossbow and stay w/ same type, as long as you keep your brace height relatively close, your point of impact doesn't change. Regards, Dan

Quick Reply: Need Help With Bow Choice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.