Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 String Silencers >

String Silencers

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

String Silencers

Old 04-11-2006, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default String Silencers

How many have tried any string silencers? what type? did they work? if not why didn't they? I have been busy so i haven't tried any this spring. I am fixing to put a set of cat whiskers on and see what happens.[]
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: String Silencers

Smokepole: I haven't tried them either, but from what I've read, they tear up real fast and cost you 15 fps. Here's why I won't even try them: I have strings that slowed me down 15 fps. and there was a very noticeable change in my point of impact at even 20 yds, much greater at 30. Assuming as they disintegrate your fps goes back up, your once spot-on group is gonna be shifting as they wear out. Just my thoughts.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

awshucks, i am going to put a set on and try them out this spring. That way if they mess up my poi i will have time to get every thing back like it was. Plus let all know how it went.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

In general they do 2 things.
1. They slow down the bow.
2. They fly off and hit you in the face[:'(]

Randy
Old 04-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol randy, can you use them on hortons? and are you talkin bout the balls with the strings?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

lol randy, can you use them on hortons? and are you talkin bout the balls with the strings?

Horton? Is that a Motor Cycle?
Old 04-11-2006, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: squirrelkilla23

I'm not talking balls or strings or balls with strings.
I am talking about the catagorey as a whole. Regardless of the company, most tend to fly off after a short time. And they don't fly off together, so then you have one on one side and nothing on the other (until it flies off).
Randy
Old 04-11-2006, 06:36 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys stop bickering! LOL,
On a crappy bow like an Excalibur you should use dissapator bars which the fine Pheonix has. So the next thing you can use but eats fps is tunerz rubber string silencers. If you are any good at serving you can serve on cat whiskers. Make them half the length by folding them over and cuttint the fold and then serve. Do not just tie them in a knot and expect to have them stay on. I use just the bars. Some guys use wooden stocks that apparently really make them quiet. Any thing you put on a string wants to fly off but the closer to the ends of the string the longer they stay but the less effective they are. Just make sure you are close and the deer will never hear the string in time.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hog: you're cofusing Horton w/ Norton, a classic English motorcycle. I've never had a Horton, but did have two Nortons, and stuff fell off them all the time. All the British bikes of that era 60's-70's had Lucas electrics, and he was called "The Prince of Darkness" True story LOL
Old 04-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Dan, how many shots out of that Pheonix today? LOL

Quick Reply: String Silencers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.