Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deer Roast?

Old 04-29-2005, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer Roast?

I cook a venison roast like I cook a Greek style lamb.

In a small sauce pan I add butter, (extra virgin) olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, oregano. (This is all done by taste and the total amount is usually a little more than a cup). I simmer slowly until everything is heated and mixed well. I then cut (stab) about a dozen very small holes in the roast and fill with cloves of garlic. I put the roast on a grate on a roasting pan that I have added chicken broth (instead of water) to the bottom of the pan. I baste the roast with the ingredients in the sauce pan and cook uncovered for about 30 min at at which time it is covered. I ensure that the roast never "dries out" by continuing to baste until all is gone. I then baste using the drippings. About 45 min before it is fully cooked, I cut potatoes into thick slices (long, julienne style) and add a can of tomato sauce to the drippings (not to the roast). I then put the potatoes in the roasting pot with the drippings and tomatoe sauce next to the venison and finishing cooking until the potatoes are tender...

When cooked, I cut up the venison like I would a leg of lamb or roast beef and add some of the drippings on top of the platter of meat. I then serve the venison, surrounded by potatoes in a large platter, while also serving a vegetable of choice, put the drippings in a separate gravy bowl and watch everyone enjoy.

The roast will cook completely and will be tender and moiste because of the searing affect. The flavor of the venison because of the added ingredients is just....well......wonderful.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer Roast?

If you have access to a smoker try "cold smoking" first the meat with your favorite wood then finish cooking it the same way you would a roast.