Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

large group cook out

Old 01-14-2005, 01:12 PM

Default large group cook out

Anyone got advice or recipes for cooking multiple deer roast for a game feed? Thanks
Old 01-14-2005, 11:03 PM

Default RE: large group cook out

deer roast no, but chislic might be easier?
Old 01-20-2005, 09:17 AM

How big is big? We talking like twenty or thirty or the 101st Abn Div?? E-mail me at [email protected] with the number and expected age groups. I have several recipes set up to feed 30.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:06 PM

Rangertom did you get my recipe OK? You know I got to thinking that you are probably planning on serving a "fresh kill" aren't you? If that is the case we need to re-think your service. Go ahead and skin out your shoulders and hams and remove all the silver skin. Forget the marinade procedure and instead let the meat soak in buttermilk for a couple of hours. Use the same seasoning approach as in the recipe except use it as a rub and then cook your roasts on a slow cook grill, under 200 degrees for about 8 hours until done as desired. Baste the roasts with apple juice every hour or so. Slice up your backstraps into medallions about an inch thick and wrap them around, like a wheel, with thick peppered bacon strips. Hold the bacon with a tooth pick. Season and grill them like filet mignon or pan fry in a very hot pan very quickly then put them in an oven or covered grill to finish to desired doneness at about 325 degrees. That'll give you a lot more meat than you will need; but, a little more variety anyway.