Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Watermellon

Old 09-23-2004, 10:11 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

Default Watermellon

I just poste over on the offseason forum about the end of veg season. In doing so I thought of a question I need to ask about.
Can you can watermellon? I would think it would just turn to mush but thought I would ask.
Also I would like to know how to can stew with meat and how to can just meat.
When you can meat how does it tast when you use it and how long do you keep it canned?
Thanks,
Rick
Old 09-23-2004, 03:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Watermellon

Rick,
On the watermellon you can freeze it. Firm -fleshed well colored ripe melons. Allow 4 lbs for each quart. Pack tighlty into moisture-vaporproof freezer containers or bags.

I haven't done it myself but have eaten canned meat and steelhead. Nummers ! You need a presurer canner for the meat and do a hot pack with meat stock.

Good luck
Old 09-23-2004, 04:33 PM

I have done quite a bit of canning of venison and elk meat. you need a pressure canner. You need to follow certain instructions to protect your meat from any spoilage from improper canning methods. let me know if you need more info, I have lots.
Old 09-24-2004, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Watermelon Pickles

2 lbs watermelon rind.... 1 TBSP broken stick cinnamon
1/4 c pickling salt.... 11/2 TSP whole cloves
4 c water.... 1/2 lemon, thinly sliced
2 c sugar.... 5 marachino cherries, halved(optional)
1 c pickling vinegar

Trim the dark green and pink parts from watermelon rind. Cut rind into 1-inch cubes; measure 7 cups. Soak rind overnight in a solution of pickling salt and water. If it takes more to cover, use same proportion of salt/water. Drai; rinse rind. Cover rind with cold water. Cook until tender.

Meanwhile, in 6 to 8 QT. kettle or dutch oven combine sugar,vinegar,cinnamon, cloves, and 1 cup water. Simmer mixture for 10 minutes, strain. Add drained watermelon rind,lemon slices, and cherries, if desired. Simmer the mixture till the watermelon rind is clear. Fill hot jars with rind syrup mixture, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Adjust lids.

Process jars in boiling water bath(pints) 5 minutes. Makes 21/2 pints.

Ron