Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Don't Like the "gamey" taste of Venison? >

Don't Like the "gamey" taste of Venison?

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Don't Like the "gamey" taste of Venison?

Old 08-22-2004, 12:43 PM

Default Don't Like the "gamey" taste of Venison?

Here is a tip that I do all of the time, especially when there are folks around that are leary about eating Venison. This will take all of the "game" taste out of the meat - I guarantee it!

Soak your Venison in Milk overnight before you plan on throwing it on the grill or in the oven the next day.

About 1 or 2 hours before you cook it, take it out of the milk, rinse it off, pat it dry. I always marinate mine for an hour or so. Use your favorite marinade. (Of course, you don't have to marinade if you don't want)

Another tip when roasting in the oven. Use plenty of onions & fresh apples. These will also "draw" the "game" flavor out.

Enjoy!
Old 08-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Don't Like the "gamey" taste of Venison?

I cant really say as I know what "gamey" taste like everyone always says deer taste "gamey" but I dont know it just taste like deer to me just like cow taste like cow..
Old 08-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ditto what Rusty said.
I've fished and eaten fish all my life, even fished commercially. The only fish I've ever eaten that tasted fishy was purchased at a store or maybe sat too long in the freezer. Meanng it wasn't cared for properly. Venison is the same way. Take care of it and it will take care of table.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:07 PM

Meanng it wasn't cared for properly. Venison is the same way. Take care of it and it will take care of table.
I agree. A swift kill & proper handling.
However, I'm told that the rut affects the flavor. My ex-husband & my husband have hunted early in the season-both having a "dead eye" and cleaned their game promptly & well...NEVER did the venison taste "gamey".
However, I did have venison that was shot late in the season and apparently killed by someone who knows his 'business' but [:'(] boy, did it taste gamey! My taste buds just weren't prepared!

I still have some of that gamey venison in my freezer...and it's rare to have venison in our freezer for any length of time. So Yooper, thank you for the tip...I'll definitely give it a try!
Old 08-22-2004, 05:12 PM

The only fish I've ever eaten that tasted fishy was purchased at a store or maybe sat too long in the freezer.
Don't ever purchase fish with a fishy smell to it-indicative that it isn't fresh and more than likely wasn't handled correctly. The fish should be firm, smell like the waters it was caught in or have no smell.
If you are going to pay the bucks for fish...you should expect FRESH.
Old 08-22-2004, 08:07 PM

I don't know if what the deer eats on a regular basis has anything to do with how the animal tastes on the dinner table. I hunt in the Upper Peninsula of MI, there are few cornfields, (or what you would normally see on a farm in Ohio or southern Michigan) found in the area I hunt. The deer in our area primarily are eating what the forrests can provide. The primary trees are White Cedar, other conifers, & few hardwoods.

Now, I have heard that "corn fed" deer are the best tastin'. I cannot say that I've ever tried one.

Does anyone have any other comments on this?
Old 08-23-2004, 08:59 AM

I soak all my venison in milk before I cook it and it takes care of any gamey taste.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:40 AM

Make sure you remove the film that is sometimes on the meat prior to cooking. This will add to the gamey taste.
Old 08-23-2004, 02:11 PM

Mexican Muley Chorizo, the perfect recipe for a big necked rutty mule buck. The rut definitely makes a difference in taste for mulies around here.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I soak mine in milk and wostershire sauce.

Quick Reply: Don't Like the "gamey" taste of Venison?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.