Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

wild pigglet!!!

Old 04-29-2004, 08:23 PM

Default wild pigglet!!!

Anyone got any suggestion on how to cook a young wild hog. Like what cuts of meat are for what type of cooking? I have already quartered the meat because I didn't have room to freeze the whole hog. The meat is still on the bone though.

Preciate it!
Old 04-30-2004, 01:56 PM

Default RE: wild pigglet!!!

depends on the size of the pig (or Hog).

A pig , I will usually B.B.Q the 1/4's.
if it is big,I BBQ the ribs,and sometimes the quaters.

depends on how you dressed it. did you leave the backbone whole? if so you can slice it and have pork chops.
You can leave the hams whole and bake them or if not to big (a pig or small shoult)season with salt and pepper,garlic powder,lowery's seasoning,put in skillet and brown on all sides then , put in a crock pot and cook overnight with onions and carrots.make gravey with the liquids you have in the crock pot.

you can also slice the hams and cook in the crock pot.the reason we do this , is sometimes the can be a little tough.

the shoulders mostly have to be BBQ or baked in the oven in a bag.

we catch and trap a lot of hogs each year;(mainly to get them off our deer feed).last year I traped about 60 head.some I made into sasuage and smoked,some we BBQ;some we gave to needly people.
we cook them every way you can;we have even cooked them in a pit with coals over them.

they are good most any way you do them.yo just have to watch , because, they cane be tough.

"If I can help any way ; just holler"
Old 04-30-2004, 02:54 PM

Preciate the response Tree Climber.
It was a small 80-90 lb pig.

I cut the "backstrap" off whole like you would a deer, the same with the tenderloins. I kept one hind quarter whole on the bone, and boned out the other hind quarter. Front shoulders whole. Do you reccommed smoking the quarters then making bbq?

Also, a friend of mine said he could put us on more hogs, and I was thinking of cooking it all day over a pit, or in the pit, however its done, so I would need a few pointers about how thats done. Like, skin intact, directly on the coals, under the coals, on a chain link fence a foot or so off the coals so it can bee flipped, etc. I dont know much about that type of grilling.

Thanks!
Old 05-01-2004, 09:11 AM

357 ; when we cook one over coals,we dig a pit about 2' deep and 3' to 4' long. build a good fire in it and let it burn down till it is just hot coals.them we put the whole 1/2 of a hog,or 1/4 what ever you got on the wire and keep a close eye on it.you can rake the coals back from one end.that way you got hot end,med hot in the middle,and the other end is low heat.
We takw oil and vinigar and mix about 1/2 and 1/2 to keep mopping it all along,that way it doesnt dry out.
You don't want to cook it fast,takes about 6 to 8 hrs. for a 1/2 hog 50 to 60 lbs.

after it gets about done then you can start adding BBQ sauce.

we always skin our hogs.some times on a smaller one 50lbs,we put it in a large plastic container and season it and pour a jar of Zesty Italin salid dressing over it and let set overnite.

I have an electric smoker with the water pan under the meat. that is a real good wayto cook it then put some BBQ sauce on it. the water pan helps with the moister so it doesn't get dry.

good luck on getting more.just experiment with the cooking.you can't mess it up as long as you don't burn it or over cook till it dryes out.