Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 wanted, home fries or hash brown reciepe >

wanted, home fries or hash brown reciepe

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

wanted, home fries or hash brown reciepe

Old 02-28-2004, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default wanted, home fries or hash brown reciepe

Calling all you guys and gals who love onions with your taters, I 've been making home fries and hash browns for ever and cannot seem to get it just right. Any help would be appreciated as I love fried potatoes and onions. They go with everything, breakfast with eggs, lunch with dogs, or dinner with deer steaks. (which I'm making now). A reciepe for each would help alot . Thank you in advance. jerseyhunter
Old 02-28-2004, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: wanted, home fries or hash brown reciepe

My Hashbrowns...

#1- Bake four big taters the day before you are making the HBs. Cool them.
#2- Dice one large onion and simmer for 2 hours or until completely caramelized. This can be done the day before too.
#3- Fry, cool, and crumble 6 slices of bacon.
#4- Peel, slice, and fry taters in a cast iron frypan(I just like using them) on med heat. Add bacon and onions to taters and heat thoroughly. Sprinkle with seasoning salt to taste, pepper too.
As an option, if you like, you can also add a few of your favourite chopped mushrooms to the taters.
Enjoy!

Ron
Old 02-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks rbduck. I've fried baked potatoes but never tried them as home fries. I think this is what I've been looking for. I'm off to bake some potatoes and take some bacon out of the freezer.

The potatoes are in, too late for tonight, but just in time for tommorrow. Now to dig out the bacon.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jersey, let me know how they turn out.

Ron
Old 02-29-2004, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Ron;
Those homefries were great although not helping my cholesterol.I can't use the exact phrase my wife used to describe them but let me put it this way she loved them also. How can anything containing my 3 favorite ingrediants not taste good. Here's a reciepe containing the same 3 ingrediants plus some flour cooked a little differently. Its a Polish dish I learned from my mother and great aunt. Its sort of like a dumpling

Potatoe Kluskies;

5-6 large raw potatoes, 1 onion chopped, flour.1/2-1 lb bacon
2 qts boiling salted water (about 1 teaspoon of salt)

dice bacon into 1”pieces and fry, set aside, then in the bacon fat brown onions and add to boiling water.
Mean while, while cooking bacon and onions, In a large bowl, grate potatoes using smallest holes on grater. Sprinkle a dash or two of salt on top after each potatoe. It helps them from turning grey and adds flavor, if they do turn don’t worry,
Next stir flour into the potatoes, 2-3cups depending on the water content of the potatoes. When finished it should have the consistancy of peanut butter and should stick to a spoon when turned upside down. Plop by tablespoons into boiling water containing salt, and fried onions,( wetting spoon in cold water helps them slide off). Simmer uncovered till water thickens to a gravy.( It will thicken more as it cools) Occasionaly stir and scrape bottom of pot to avoid sticking and burning. Stir in bacon pieces the last 10 min. and serve.

I love this with a side of bread,butter and grape jelly. It is a dinner but I can eat it anytime.
Old 02-29-2004, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the recipe Jersey, looking forward to trying it, sounds good. On my recipe, another option is to use diced green onions( 3 or 4 ) instead of the caramelized ones if you are short on time. Just throw them in with the taters when you are frying them.

Ron
Old 03-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

rbduck; Those left over homefries go great on top of hotdogs also.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:38 PM

This is a little different but one of my favorites. Peel about 6 large potatoes and grate them with a cheese grater in a large bowl. Add a couple eggs and a little bit of flour and stir. Heat up a frying pan and fry like pancakes. Sprinkle sugar on them and enjoy.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:38 PM

I just put butter on a skillet and grate ukp a couple of potatoes right on to the skillet and fry 'em up adding butter every 3-4 minutes or so. salt and pepper, a little cheese! MMMMM....good eating....
Old 03-10-2004, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: j3k2c1

I just put butter on a skillet and grate ukp a couple of potatoes right on to the skillet and fry 'em up adding butter every 3-4 minutes or so. salt and pepper, a little cheese! MMMMM....good eating....
I do the exact same thing j3...Important to keep adding that butter so you get a nice golden brown to the taters....And cheese on top really does the trick......also like mentioned before an onion chopped up and added in there can take the dish to the next level..oh i almost forgot, seasoning salt tastes much better on hashbrowns than plain salt...but thats just MY taste buds talkin.....good eatin....

Quick Reply: wanted, home fries or hash brown reciepe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.