Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > After The Hunt > Camp Cooking and Game Processing
 Freezing...Thawing.....Refreezing Venison >

Freezing...Thawing.....Refreezing Venison

Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Freezing...Thawing.....Refreezing Venison

Old 01-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Freezing...Thawing.....Refreezing Venison

Toby, I had this concern a couple season ago...

I had about three whole deer that had been processed in my upright freezer. At the time, we were short on electrical outlets in our basement, and were unplugging the freezer to run the washing machine. Yep, we forgot to plug it back in once... Didn't know it until two days later we saw water running to the drain where the freezer had dethawed.

I was real concerned, and asked here on the forums about what I should do, and was the meat safe. A few people directed me to some websites that said the meat was absolutely safe to refreeze and eat. One of them was by the USDA or the FDA or whatever government body oversees cattle and beef. Somehow, wild game meat isn't affected like beef or the like.

Just as a follow-up: We've been eating that meat now for the past two years with no ill effects, so I guess all the information was correct!
Old 01-22-2004, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the butcher wrap and freeze. I bring it home put it in my freezer. When I have time I thaw days or weeks later. I then Vac Bag and refreeze after I make sausage,trim,cut up into smaller portions. I've done this with 4 deer this year. I've done it every year since I bought my Vac Bagger 5 years ago. Never had a hint of spoiled meat.
Old 01-23-2004, 06:27 AM

since the processors usually are not open on weekends here, i quarter my deer,wrap in large heavy duty garbage bags and freeze until i can take it to them.i have ALL my deer ground with beef/pork fat and they re-freeze it in packages.been doing it for years with no problem.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

loner, are you use meat safe bags? The reason I ask is some garbage bags have chemicals added to help aid in less perfume from garbage, which is very bad to store meat in.